Author Topic: Rehearsal Reports  (Read 14683 times)

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Rehearsal Reports
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2015, 01:24 pm »
How about flipping the question around?  Instead of asking for an ETA, I often will present a specific time line request (ei: Is it possible to have the show-swords in the rehearsal hall by Wed, when we will be holding our next session with the fight choreographer?).

I agree with Beatr79- providing a reason for why you need something by X date is always more helpful than what could appear to be an arbitrary due date. It's a perfectly reasonable request to ask for the swords for rehearsal with the fight choreographer, while just asking for a "timeline" on the swords without really explaining why you want to know could be misconstrued as micromanaging.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

jaceezekiel

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Vermont
  • Current Gig: SM for Marat/Sade
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2015, 01:40 pm »
How about flipping the question around?  Instead of asking for an ETA, I often will present a specific time line request (ei: Is it possible to have the show-swords in the rehearsal hall by Wed, when we will be holding our next session with the fight choreographer?).

I agree with Beatr79- providing a reason for why you need something by X date is always more helpful than what could appear to be an arbitrary due date. It's a perfectly reasonable request to ask for the swords for rehearsal with the fight choreographer, while just asking for a "timeline" on the swords without really explaining why you want to know could be misconstrued as micromanaging.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you both!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2015, 04:15 pm »
exactly. A first pass reading "we need x by (date)" usually works very well - but if you keep asking with no response, you can also say something along the lines of "we are waiting for x to finalize blocking of scene 3. Can you tell us when to expect it?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2015, 12:49 am »
I totally agree with the we need X item by Y date for Z reason - to fill people in and help them prioritize your needs. 

PM me your email address, and I can send a sample report.

I am the opposite of you - I always get gently chided for VERBOSE reports, with too much details - in fact there are times I need to edit out information so it's not so overwhelming.

Pictures are great - if not included in the main body of the email, sent to the department directly.  We broke the chair again, but this time we cracked the center support beam (picture to be sent directly to props).  Costume shop doesn't need that picture.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Brandywine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Book: Stage Manager's Survivors Guide
  • Current Gig: City Lights Theater and Epic Immersive
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:39 pm »

Along with that suggestion (Which yes... how you phrase things can make ALL the difference), in the email I send with the report attached, I'll typically paste any questions in the body of the email itself. Something I learned from my corporate life - don't assume folks will open the attached report and read it. Not because they don't want to, but likely because they're swamped or viewing the email on a device that makes it hard to open attachments - etc. By having the 3 or 4 questions that came up in rehearsal in the body of the email (listed by department), it makes it easy for them to hit reply and provide an answer.

EustaceSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:02 am »
I could send you examples of my past rehearsal reports, if interested.

sarcasticstagemanager

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Wizard of Oz with a youth group and Hair with a Community group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:10 pm »
This is sort of tangential, but what do people do report wise for auditions? I work at a community theatre where usually no rehearsal reports are sent, although I'm working on introducing them, but I'm not sure if I need to/should send anything out for auditions. Obviously most of the department notes wouldn't be relevant. My producer will send the cast list once there is one.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2016, 03:11 pm »
Depends, are the auditioners filling out forms with their basic info? (Age, vocal range, gender, etc?) If so, then I'd think only the management team would need a record. Time spent, number of rooms needed, which staffers were present, and any major snafus/meltdowns/security issues.

I'm of two minds about documenting rudeness in the lobby. Part of me thinks that this is better done via soft-communication to the casting team. However, I did have an occasion where the only record of behavioral problems with an actress were in my reports until the day she was found with her hand in the box office drawer.

Plabebob

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity
  • Current Gig: Opera North - Ring Cycle
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:43 pm »

Along with that suggestion (Which yes... how you phrase things can make ALL the difference), in the email I send with the report attached, I'll typically paste any questions in the body of the email itself. Something I learned from my corporate life - don't assume folks will open the attached report and read it. Not because they don't want to, but likely because they're swamped or viewing the email on a device that makes it hard to open attachments - etc. By having the 3 or 4 questions that came up in rehearsal in the body of the email (listed by department), it makes it easy for them to hit reply and provide an answer.

I'm not sure about this one, it feels like that would give them a get out of reading the report. They need to read all their notes, and just having questions in the email may make them even less likely to actually open the document. Either the information in the report is necessary or it's not - if it's not then there's no point in including it, and if it is then they need to see it. If you're going to post half of their notes in to the email you might as well just write the whole report in the email as well!

riotous