Author Topic: Prompt Books...  (Read 6082 times)

loefflerj05

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Prompt Books...
« on: Jul 19, 2009, 03:15 pm »
Hi. I basically have to teach myself how to put together a prompt book...I know that blocking and all the light, sound, and every other cue possible goes in there, but what else goes in there besides stuff that coincides with the script? Like contact sheets and stuff? Please help!

smarielle.goldstein

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The University of Pittsburgh, USITT, SMA
  • Current Gig: ASM Intern with the Shakespeare Theatre Company for the upcoming 2010-2011 season
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Prompt Books...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:39 pm »
First of all, Welcome to SMNetwork and the Student and Novice Stage Managers section. A prompt book is basically the bible for a particular show. It contains everything from contact information to rehearsal and performance reports and any and all information relating to the production, its designers and team.

Feel free to look around this forum as there is a lot of information here already on how different Stage Managers set up their books. There is no strict guideline as of how to set up your book as it is personal preference, but you have to keep in mind that it needs to be organized in a way that any Stage Manager can pick it up if you should become unable to continue with the production.

Please don't to hesitate to send me a PM if you need any help or have any more questions.

-- Arielle --

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Prompt Books...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:04 am »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork!!  You will find lots of info on these boards that will help you in putting together a prompt book.  I would suggest heading over to the Stage Management: Plays & Musicals Board, click on "subject" to search the board by subject, and head to page 12, which is where the topics on "Prompt Books" start.  There are several threads regarding what goes in a production book, how to setup a call script, styles of blocking notation, etc.  You may also want to head over to Uploaded Forms which has lots of examples of the various paperwork that we use. 

Also, please take a moment to head over to the Introductions Board and tell us a little bit about yourself.  Best of luck to you, and please feel free to ask questions throughout your production.