Author Topic: Prompt books: What to do with them after closing?  (Read 18075 times)

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: prompt books
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2006, 12:29 pm »
I kept all my prompt books from college as it was a momento and i figured somoene might ask to see a sample of my work.  But as somoene mentioned in another thread how often are you really asked to show a prompt book in an interview, your prompt book can show a little about your organizational skills but ultimately somoene can have a greatly organized binder but suck as a stage manager, you really just have to talk to somoene enough to see if they would be good.

But anyway I keep mine from college and its fun flipping back to some and seeing how poorly I did with them and then look at my current one and be like "what the hell was I thinking then" and it seems with each show the binder improves a little more.  So as I start my journey into the real world I am actually working on my first show where they say in the contract I have to turn the script into them.  So what I have is my own binder with tabs laid out that I'll use for everyshow I do (its a spiffy binder that has some extra pockets, a four tab file folder thing on the front cover, pen/pencil holder, zippers up, and has a flap on the front that holds a small notepad on the front which is very useful to jot down a quick note when you pass someone in the hallway or something.)  So I have all my tabs laid out and when the show closes i can take out all the info keeping my tabs and hand it into the theatre (i figure they can supply their own binder or an envelope to keep it all in, but given somones suggestion here I will probably add in post it tabs to break down the sections).  Then when my next show starts I can just begin filling in my tab sections with new paper work.  I don't know if I'm gonna try to keep copies of all my prompt books cause when I look around at the box of ones I have from college I think all they do is sit in a box taking up space do I really need them.  I know there are some shows I will keep though.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2006, 11:39 pm »
Mac, what's that legal ribbon or whatever you called it? How's it work?

Legal ribbon is a ribbon which is 9mm wide (also available in 6mm, but I prefer 9) - it does not stretch at all, and is extreamly strong. Basically, using a "bodkin" (see image below) poked through punched holes, the ribbon can be woven through the binder holes and tied to create a 'book'. It is just a cheap, neat way of storing a large number of pages.

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2006, 11:42 pm by Mac Calder »

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2006, 04:03 am »
as far as being requested to submit a prompt book, at the regional level of aea stage management, no one has ever asked to see my prompt book - in fact, since apply for grad school, no one has ever asked to see one.  (That was 10 years ago).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2006, 12:58 pm »
Mac, what's that legal ribbon or whatever you called it? How's it work?

Legal ribbon is a ribbon which is 9mm wide (also available in 6mm, but I prefer 9) - it does not stretch at all, and is extreamly strong. Basically, using a "bodkin" (see image below) poked through punched holes, the ribbon can be woven through the binder holes and tied to create a 'book'. It is just a cheap, neat way of storing a large number of pages.

OK, so my guess about what legal ribbon is was wrong. I'd never heard of it before.  I've used regular craft yearn for a similar purpose, but this stuff looks so much better.  Does anyone know if can be had in the US?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:14 pm »
The name "Legal Ribbon" or "Legal Tape" seems to be a UK/AU term. I did some googling and all results appear to be UK or AU stationary sites. It is just a natural fibre wide ribbon and you can make a decent bodkin by using a large leather needle and making a handle for it.

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2006, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the photos of the materials but I'd love to see a photo of a finished product. I'm still a bit vague on how it's used.
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2006, 06:49 pm »
As for college, high school, and community theatre shows, I have every prompt book I have used. Most of the graduate programs that I am talking with have asked me to bring in examples (4 or 5) of my work to determine admission. Just a thought.
Derek A. Fuzzell

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2006, 08:13 pm »
I purged most of my shows just last year! The books were cluttering up my parents garage- so they mostly got tossed. I did keep a couple (my final college show, the 1st show I ever SM'd) but mostly they were recycled.

All the ballet's shows and regional shows I've done in the past 7 years belog to the theater or ballet, and fortunately I still work for most of them so if I want to borrow for master classes it's not a problem.

I also keep a big binder of different paperwork I've created over the years in my ofice for ASM's and Master Classes.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2006, 10:59 pm »
Given that most of our paperwork is done on the computer, I would recommend that one do a back up of all your paperwork on DVD or CD - making a virtual prompt book. 

You then can use this to print out paperwork as needed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:56 am »
CD/DVD is fine for short term archival - however the organic die does deteriorate over time, so I would still suggest a hard copy. (nb: it is guestimated that about 10 years is the life span of a 'burnt' CD - pressed CD's  will last for MUCH longer)

lydiaelaine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SELU
  • Current Gig: 3rd Annual Hammond Horror Festival: 24 Hour Play Festival
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2006, 04:01 am »
In college, I am able to keep my prompt books, and actually I am participating in SETC this year and my "audition" is my prompt books from previous shows. I am quite exited!
Stage manager: Totally responsible for everything.

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2006, 09:25 am »
I've got prompt books from most of the shows I want to remember they are in a big rubbermaid storage bin my basement.   I work at the rare community theatre that keeps them so my book from the last 5 or 6 are in storage there.  I do scan all my scripts and keep a copy of them on CD along with all the paperwork from the show.  Electronic is the way to go... you can fit alot more CD's in those rubbermaid things. 

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Re: Prompt books: What to do with them after closing?
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2012, 11:50 pm »
I use transfer binders (press board with really long metal holders) and store them flat in the school's filing cabinet.  I sometimes return to them to look up vendor information or to pull a scene for an acting competition.  Most of the time, they just gather dust.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

SMeustace

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Theat Troupe Theatre Company
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #28 on: Aug 27, 2013, 05:26 pm »
I take everything out of my prompt book and put it into manilla envelopes to use in the future for reference materials. I re-use binders until they start falling apart (they get pricey after a while).

I like to keep all my past prompt book material. Never know when I will need them next. May need them for self-critiques that I do, and even future interviews.
"On the first day the lord said....Light cue 1, GO! Then there was light".

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2013, 08:32 am »
I don't particularly see the benefit in keeping paper copies of prompt books - why not just scan to pdf and keep a digital copy?  Most of your files are already digital, and modern copy machines scan to pdf with ease for things like your prompt book. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt