Author Topic: Prompt books: SMgt project  (Read 5721 times)

Holli

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Prompt books: SMgt project
« on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:59 pm »
 ??? I am doing a project on stage management and have to contrive a prompt copy of the script with all cues and blocking. Would anyone be able to advise me the best place/source for all the accreditted blocking notation that I would require?  ???
Thanks
Holli

:-\

EDIT: Thread relocated from Uploaded Forms.  Please read the forum rules! -- PSMK
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 01:09 pm by PSMKay »

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMgt project
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:36 pm »
I have just done a search of "blocking" in 4 different stage management books I own and found sections on blocking in all of them.  I like Lawrence Stern's description best that "The best method is the method that works best for you."

If you want actual symbols to use (which are individual for each person), a good example is in Daniel Ionazzi's book.

Also, you can try the search function on this website.  Clicking on the magnifying glass icon will give you more search perameters and a better ability to find things.  Try both "blocking" and "script" and you'll get tons of different answers to sift through.  There's no one answer.  I know there are large discussions on how to write cues in your book too. 

Sounds like it's a school project.  Do some research.

Erin

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:25 am »
Accredited Blocking Notation
... It seems like you are after some ISO/OTHER STANDARDS ORGANISATION code for blocking. I can tell you now, there isn't one.

In fact, blocking often does not even involve drawing on a plan (depends on the method you prefer). For example, I was taught to put my blocking in words: (example, two characters, Ashley and Terry, there is a table DSP and USOP (Down Stage Prompt (stage left) and Up Stage Opposite Prompt (stage right)), labeled T1 and T2 respectively (on my floor plan).

(1) T -> DSOP/T1
(2) A -> DSP/T1
(3) T hugs A @ DSC/T1
(4) A -> DSP
(5) T -> 2DSP/T1
(6) A exits USP

Which is basically short hand for

Terry crosses to the Down Stage Opposite Prompt corner of Table 1
Ashley crosses to the Down Stage Prompt corner of Table 1
Terry Hugs Ashley, in the middle of the Down Stage end of the table (ie they step together and embrace)
Ashley crosses to Down Stage Prompt (no location defined, so it is relative to the stage)
Terry takes two steps Down Stage Prompt of Table 1
Ashley Exits Up Stage Prompt.

That is the method I use, which could be entirely different to what other people use.

The Stage Management world does not recognise any official standards when it comes to prompt copies, as they are a rather personal thing. There are "de facto standards" - unofficial, but widely used, like the use of Stand By and Go when cuing, but there is no "ISO1100221 - Standard notations for the creation of a theatrical prompt copy" or "ANSI29992 - Standard for theatrical cuing and show control".

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:56 am »
but there is no "ISO1100221 - Standard notations for the creation of a theatrical prompt copy" or "ANSI29992 - Standard for theatrical cuing and show control".

trying to envisage this gave me a great giggle thanks Mac!
ChaCha

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:56 pm »
Like other said "its whatever works best for you, there is no standard."  Thing to remember though is it should be kept simple enough that someone could pick up your prompt book and more or less walk the path of the actors, so that if you were hit by that big black theatre bus someone could pick up your book and understand what you are saying.  This can also be accomplished by putting a blocking key in your script stating what your shorthand symbols mean.

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:00 am »
Hi, Holli;

I agree that there's no one way, but I would suggest being consistent, as best you can, within your notes.  I use abbreviations that are a lot like Mac's.  The thing I like about them is that I can grasp a lot of blocking at a glance, something that can really help keep the rehearsal moving along. 

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2006, 01:35 pm »
One thing that I have learned in creating blocking symbols is that it is ok to borrow symbols from other SMs.  I never have had a problem with another SM borrowing any of mine.  I'm sure if you ask another SM, they would be more than willing to let you use their symbols.  Have fun with it and don't stress yourself out. 

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2006, 02:12 am »
I like drawing lots of x's and arrows...

my last show had 5 round platforms extending in front ot the stage (proscenium?) and it was more of a pain to number them then to draw sketches and draw the paths of actors...I could never figure out how to say "moves from center of platform 3, right foot on plat4 while left foot goes to plat1 and then jumps on plat2, crosses across the corner to plat6" short...it was easier to draw a line.

since I'm still new at blocking I usually try different methods..and if that doesn't work, I'll switch the next day. I try to do all my experimentation near the beginning tho, because t is less likely to hurt the show. If I switch methods during serious blocking and can't remember what symbols mean then I'm in deep poo, and I've lost precious rehearsal time and my respect from the cast.
-isha
~isha