Author Topic: Rehearsals: Rehearsal Suggestions  (Read 11002 times)

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Rehearsal Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2006, 11:53 am »
To add to #4:

For the love of pete, turn your pages quietly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, I was dealing with that just this week, and I got a dirty look from the person wondering why it was such a big deal.  Or why I harped on her every time she let the door slam shut behind her in the middle of rehearsal.

Erin

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2006, 09:13 am »
Recently a new SM asked me to provide him with some good rules for rehearsal-what he should/shouldn't say, etc.  After giving that to him, I thought some folks might find it useful.  (Just so you know, I'm a professional SM currently pursuing my MFA so I've been doing this for awhile.   )

1.  Most directors want stage managers to be seen and not heard.  Unless you're asked, you should never offer your advice or an opinion.  You never want to tell a director how to do their job-you can offer the problem, but don't offer the solution unless you're asked.

I disagree with this point. Whilst I NEVER offer creative suggestions unless asked, if I see a problem, ie something just will not work (ie an action requires defying the laws of gravity etc) I will point it out, as well as possible solutions - taking care to never seem like I am influencing the way the show actually looks. I am also strongly of the opinion that we are more than just the directors Personal Assitant, and that whilst the creative control is in the directors hands, I will take charge on the organisational front - which means that I will call out for order, I will make announcements at the start and end of rehearsal etc and inject comments on things the director may not know which could prove valuable to everyone.

I agree with Mac on this one and disagree with the original statement.  When I am in rehearsals and the director starts to do something that would be physically impossible on whatever the set piece is, you can bet I'm going to speak up and tell him/her before that piece of blocking gets too far.  For example....I once had a director who wanted an actor to sit on the edge of a tall platform with his feet hanging off; he didn't realize that the platform actually had a 3' wall that went up and so no one could sit on the edge.  If I hadn't said anything right away and had waited until after the rehearsal, the next rehearsal we would have had to taken time to re-do this scene.  Because I spoke up and let him know that it wasn't going to work, he readjusted the blocking right there and everything went on fine.

There is a difference betwween offering up artistic suggestions, and making sure that everyone stays on task and that the director doesn't try to do something that just won't work.  If the seen and not heard rule had to apply all the time, I think a lot of rehearsal time would get wasted and the process wouldn't be as smooth as it could be.
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

stagemonkey

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2006, 11:36 am »

1.  Most directors want stage managers to be seen and not heard.  Unless you're asked, you should never offer your advice or an opinion.  You never want to tell a director how to do their job-you can offer the problem, but don't offer the solution unless you're asked.

I agree with the others that this one shouldnt necessarily be on the list.  When it comes to artistic ideas, like how the line should be said, what the blocking should be, etc then it can hold true to an extent.  I always think of it as my job as SM to think about everything the director isn't (face it the director has a lot on his mind in putting a show together sometimes hes more focused on the actors getting the story across then what the set looks like).  If the director stages something that I see will cause a problem i feel it is my job to let him know that, and more so if I see the problem I'm not just gonna point it out.  I will point it out and offer an immediate suggestion (or two or three) suggestions on how to circumvent said problem.  Most directors I've worked with always appreciated hearing the problem and the possible solution right away.

In terms of this one it really depends on the director.  I've had some directors who welcomed artistic suggestions from me, but I've had others I wouldn't offer anything to.  Its one of those things you figure out when you have that meeting with the director before rehearsals start. 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2006, 03:36 pm »
  I always think of it as my job as SM to think about everything the director isn't

Beautifully put! That is exactly it!

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2006, 03:46 pm »
Another good point about talking/posting anything negative about the company is that any public statements can be seen as inappropriate PR communication.

i.e. Unauthorized talking to the press can result in termination.

I had a reviewer ask me in the lobby (there was no other way to cut through to the threatre from my booth) how the show was going.  I said, "Fine."  I meant tech-wise, of course.  He did not ask me if I thought the show was good or bad in my artistic opinion.

Said reviewer then mentioned this to the Artistic Director at the booth, "I hear things are going fine."

And then the show got a bad review.  Since this reviewer often reads reviews in other papers and takes the opposite view, often refuting line by line, it was deduced by the AD and Managing Director that my quick exchange with the reviewer had caused the bad review.

......  So keep that in mind.

Believe me I avoid reviewers if at all possible.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2006, 04:20 pm by thehayworth »
"This time for sure."

MileHighSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2006, 10:55 am »
After reading several folks response, I want to modify my original statement about stage managers being seen and not heard.  I meant to state that yes, you *should* point out anything that could cause physical harm to the actors, impossibilities due to scenic elements, etc.  However-I've worked with primarily young and inexperienced ASM's who would pipe up when the director was asking the actors questions, or answer a question that was directed to the SM.  I've found most directors don't want suggestions, but are open to you saying, "Just so you know, there's a low hanging part of the awning there, so they shouldn't stand there."  Hope that helps.  I realize that it's important to point out potential problems, but many young SM's don't know their place in what to say and what to be quiet about.