Author Topic: Prompt books: Cardstock pros and cons  (Read 6814 times)

Libby

Prompt books: Cardstock pros and cons
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:51 pm »
So I just wanted to see an opinion about this:

I have seen a couple stage managers use card stock for their script. For the show I am currently on, I have decided to try it myself.

What do you guys think. Would you find it worth it to put the script/blocking onto cardstock, or do you prefer the regular weight paper?

Pros so far: erasing on cardstock=no ripping/thinning paper. takes the need for a slip sheet away (since the cardstock is thick enough I just printed my blocking sheet on the back of the script page)

Cons: heavy as what

More of a discussion topic then a question I guess....
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:29 pm by PSMKay »

ERK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://
Cardstock pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 03:24 pm »
I use slightly heavy paper and I actually have it printed on a beige color.  The glare from white paper hurts my eyes sometimes.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Cardstock pros and cons
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:42 pm »
I am also in the slightly weighted category.

Normal paper is 80 GSM.

I use 100 GSM.

Cardstock is over 200 GSM.

Price wise, 100 GSM does not cost that much more than 80, but 200 costs about 4 times the price.

Kestrel_Childers

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Cardstock pros and cons
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:59 pm »
I would just use a heavier paper, cardstock seems like overkill, especially if you have a lot of pages in your script, it could make your binder a lot thicker and fuller than you'd like.  Plus, I would think it'd be much harder to convince a theatre to buy you 200 pages of cardstock which is more expensive than plain paper in order for you to put together your prompt script.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Cardstock pros and cons
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:29 am »
Also, for a lot of copiers, it takes much more effort (like the bypass tray) to get things onto cardstock vs. lower paper.  I usually do just regular paper, but I'd opt for the slightly heavier that you can still run through the regular paper tray over cardstock.

Erin

samthestagemanager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
heavy paper
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2006, 04:37 pm »
i usually try to use heavier paper. the copier at my school really hates cardstock, it usually gets jammed. plus stage managers don't get any kind of allowance, so the costs of all my supplies are on me.

riotous