Author Topic: Preproduction: how much time?  (Read 5247 times)

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
Preproduction: how much time?
« on: Jun 03, 2006, 04:44 pm »
How much time do you typically spend actually preparing for rehearsals and production meetings and stuff before it all happens. I'm doing a show in the fall and we won't start rehearsals until like september. I already have the script and what I'm wondering is am I right in thinking that I should start laying things out and start on my prompt book and getting paperwork ready for the actors and stuff? This is a college black box production and also my first show to SM from start to finish by myself. Any suggestions would be terrific. Thank you!!!

Emily
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:37 pm by PSMKay »

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
how much time?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2006, 05:20 pm »
I don't think it's ever too early to start preparing for a show.

My personal preferance is to get started ASAP.  I first read the script, and then go through each page and use my own personal script notes sheet to write down characters, props, sound cues, etc.  I have a folder on my desktop for every show I do, and I usually go ahead and do an Actor/Scene Breakdown, Basic Props List (from what is in the script), Medical Info sheet, and other things that may pertain to that specific show, if anything.  I like to go ahead and get these things done for that just reason: THEY'RE DONE!! You don't have to worry about making a Scene Breakdown or other things when rehearsals start because you will have already done them.  It gets some of the stress off!

I always like to have things done early anyway, so it's just my personal preferance.  I start Cats in August and already have a whole bunch of paperwork things done so that I don't have to worry with them and I'm on top of things.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
how much time?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2006, 10:07 pm »
It is a matter of prioritising. I often spend a week getting everything set up for a show (if I am notified about it a week earlier) however sometimes you only have a few hours available to do it.

Usually I do things in this order (and if I run out of time, it does not matter)

1. Work out rough production schedule (including "No Change" dates and submission dates etc)
2. Work out agendas for first production meeting and rehearsal
3. Create "Welcome to the show" packets (contains contact lists, health forms, HR forms, details about the show, details about the venue, history of the show and the period it is set in if needed yadda yadda yadda)
4. Make sure I have all my kit ready for day 1 (including lots and lots of pencils)
5. Create script extractions
6. Create rehearsal paperwork
7. Create prompt book
8. Create performance paperwork

The list is by no means complete, but gives an idea of the areas I work on. Some things like production schedule will only be rough, especially if you have not talked to the director, but I usually like to pencil in a no change date about 5 or so days before we move into tech, and I like to pencil in a "set design required" and "equipment requirements due" dates - usually the equipment lists about 2 weeks before tech week if possible, and set design about a month prior. After the first production meeting though, these things can change drastically. The outline of a production schedule should take no more than 20 minutes really.

The agenda for first meetings is usually fairly basic too - production meetings - welcomes, directors vision, each departments vision, budget, timeline etc. First rehearsal - welcome, your time, directors time, charactor discussion, design discussion, readthrough etc. Maybe an hour to put together.

"Welcome to the show" packets can go from the time it takes to photocopy a few documents for the entire cast, to upwards of 5 or so hours. One thing good about stage managing is you can reuse old documents.

Checking your kit should not take long if you already have one - if you want to put one together from stuff arround the house, maybe an hour or so.

Script extractions require you to have read the script once already (say 2 hours), then probably another 3-4 hours to do the extraction, so 6 hours.

Rehearsal paperwork - sign in sheets, call sheets, line note sheets, rehearsal reports etc - if you are making from scratch, 4 or 5 hours, if you are recycling, 10-20 minutes.

Prompt book - anywhere from an hour to 20.

Performance paperwork - sign in sheets, call sheets, performance reports, much like rehearsal paperwork.

It also takes a day or two to set up the rehearsal spaces and callboard.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
How Much Time
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 02:05 am »
Professionally, I start working on a show about 2 weeks before first rehearsal.

One week at my lesiure kind of work.

One week full time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
how much time?
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:56 am »
I guess it depends on how close together your gigs are, whether or not this is your primary means of employment or something you have the luxury of doing as your individual schedule permits.

Personally, I find that within a hectic schedule, the required week of Pre-Pro that Actors' Equity has established with most contracts, is enough.
Ordo ab chao

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
early start
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 11:55 pm »
I usually start about two weeks before a show. I might start a bit earlier if I have my materials (script, groundplans, contacts). But I try not to work on the show very much if I'm deep into another show at the time - issues can get confused in my head and that's not good for either show! I wait until one show is on solid ground and then begin prep for the next. Prep work for a standard show might take 25 hours . A larger show might take 60. It varies widely by show.

One word of advice - try to keep on the pace of the rest of the production staff. Even though you're ready for wardrobe breakdowns and quick-change strategies, if the costume department hasn't finished building the costumes, your prep can't be useful for a while. And you can't push the director to make final choices on props until he/she's ready (ok, maybe around dress rehearsals you can start heavily campaigning for finalizied lists and a ban on additions). Take a minute to figure out your priorities and go from there. Know that many changes, updates, and redrafts will be necessary. But the earlier you start really getting to know the show, the more smoothly everything will go for you througout the production process. Good luck!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
how much time?
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2006, 12:58 pm »
The amount of time I spend doing pre-production really depends on the complexity of the show that I'm SMing.  If it's a musical, I usually give myself about 2 weeks to get everything done -- one week at home, one week at the theatre during my AEA pre-production week.  During the first week, I re-read the script, setup my laptop for the new show, start setting up paperwork, etc.  This gives me plenty of time for meetings with the departments when I arrive for pre-prod as well as time to tape out the set.  For my last show, my ASM and I had to tape out two rehearsal spaces, so that took 1/2 of one day and 1/2 of another due to the availability of the spaces, so you have to take things like that into account.

When I'm doing a straight play, I usually only use my pre-prod week (although I usually re-read the play the week before I'm scheduled to arrive at the theatre).  Fewer people, fewer set moves, fewer props = shorter pre-prod (although this isn't always the case...)

I can usually tell upon first read of the script and receipt of notes from the design/production meetings that happened way before rehearsals as to whether I'm looking at one or two weeks worth of pre-production preparation.  You just have to give your self time to be totally familiar with all aspects of the production and be prepared to start rehearsals.

ESM_John

Re: how much time?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:34 pm »
As KC_SM_0807 said, there really isnt a time that youre too early, becuause no matter when you start, theres always that pre-show rush that takes place.

Its definetly good to lay out your plots, make preliminary reports and make sure you understand the show.

Typically, ill try to read the show a few times...becuase my director will say things like "Hey, lets work on that scene where ya know asks Hodel to dance at the thing"....and its my job to know that he means the "Wedding Scene" in Fiddler on the Roof.

Being prepared doesnt just mean for the whole show, but maybe a specific meeting too. Ive quickly learned that its your job to know pretty much everything for everyone, which is no small task!

Good luck with your show!