Author Topic: Summer Stock  (Read 3209 times)

tonytgrtchy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Summer Stock
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:50 pm »
So I was offered a summer job at a summer stock theater, that is connected to the college I attend.  They gave me a great offer when it comes to room, board, stipend, plus college credit.  This particular company does 8 shows in 10 weeks, every show had two weeks of rehearsal and at least one week of performances.  Due to the intense schedule I will have two shows in rehearsal while one is in performance.  I do have help, two ASMs/Actors, my only problem with this is that sometimes the director likes to pull ASMs and make them a character in the show.  Does anyone have any advise on summer stock theater, since I have never done it?  Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
-D.-

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Summer Stock
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:29 pm »
congrats on the job!

The best advice that I can offer is to be as prepared and organized as possible.  The more prep-work that you can do on the scripts before you arrive or before you get insanely busy, the happier that you will be. 

2 week rehearsal periods is pretty typical in summer stock, although it is somewhat unusual for one person to stage manage back to back shows.

There a couple ways to use the ASMs, you can assign then to alternating shows, so that way they only have to concentrate on one show at a time, or you can use them both all the time.  If there is a chance of the director using them as cast members, I would keep both of them on all shows so that you have a better chance of them being available to you.   

Use the ASMs to track the props, costumes, be on book, etc.  That will allow you to concentrate on the blocking and large scenic pieces.

I hope that helps.  Good luck!

riotous