Author Topic: NEWBIES: Tech Advice  (Read 5450 times)

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
NEWBIES: Tech Advice
« on: Feb 10, 2007, 12:53 am »
So I'm a student at the University of Miami where I'm PSMing Brighton Beach Memoirs in the round.  This will be my first time calling a show and I just found out I'll be calling from behind a scrim.  We go into tech on Tuesday and I'm really nervous about the whole process.  I've always been an ASM so being out in the front makes me a little nervous.  Any words of wisdom or advice for my first time teching and calling (especially in the round?!)

Thanks so much!!! :)
Lauren
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2009, 12:23 am by PSMKay »
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Tech Advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2007, 11:44 am »
Here is a great thread where "seasoned" SMs have shared stories of their very first tech experiences. 

http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1595.0.html

Calling in the round really isn't so different from anything else.  You'll probably want to be out front (as opposed to calling from backstage with a monitor).  When I've done shows in the round, I've always arranged my rehearsal table so that I'm watching rehearsals and recording blocking from the same side that the booth is on.  This way you get used to watching the show from the same angle you'll be calling on.  Also you'll want to make sure that there aren't seats that will be blocking your view -- your booth table and chair should be high enough so you can see over the tops of everyone's heads in the house. 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:50 am »
calling a show in the round can be a lot of fun. You get to see the audience watching the show which is quite fascinating! Hope it goes well.
ChaCha

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:30 pm »
for any show that you call i'd say that the most impotant thing is not to snowball if there is a glitch. I currently starting on epsom downs, which we're doing in the round as well I may well try out sitting where i will cue on the night. Thanks

jempage

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:07 pm »
Calling a show from in the round is little different to a typical show. There is still only one lighting guy, one sound guy, etc.

The thing to look out for is the scene shifts / mechanicals. I'm not familiar with the play you're doing, so I'm not sure if there are any complex shifts to coordinate, but a badly done shift will be even more bad if performed in-the-round.

For some good info - i recommend getting a copy of Stage Management: A Guidebook of Practical Techniques by Lawrence Stern. Boston, Allyn and Bacon, 1974.

It's an older book, but its got some great advice and techniques for stage management in-the-round. See if a uni nearby has a copy.
Cheers,
Jem.

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2007, 12:12 pm »
I am absolutely positive you will do wonderfully.  Granted, I'm still in high school and I just TRULY stage managed my first show this past weekend.  As nervous as you are, the show willl happen and it will happen smoothly and near perfectly.  Good luck. :)
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

Wandering Ninja

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2007, 09:57 am »
   Remember the audience has not seen the show as much as you have, are not as likely to notice any mistakes as you are. So don't kill yourself over small things, but also try not to repeat them.

I have also found that staying calm, making sure you are hydrated and well feed, and getting some sleep all help keep me from getting frustrated. Which in turn leads to me doing a better job on a show.

Also know how much you can lean on your crew when things go wrong. They are there to help you, so know what they can do.

Good luck, and have fun.

I just realized your show was a couple months ago I hope you enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007, 10:13 am by Wandering Ninja »
"Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without the will to start, the enthusiasm to continue and, regardless of temporary obstacles, the persistence to complete" Waite Phillips

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:18 am »
So I'm a student at the University of Miami where I'm PSMing Brighton Beach Memoirs in the round.  This will be my first time calling a show and I just found out I'll be calling from behind a scrim.  We go into tech on Tuesday and I'm really nervous about the whole process.  I've always been an ASM so being out in the front makes me a little nervous.  Any words of wisdom or advice for my first time teching and calling (especially in the round?!)

Thanks so much!!! :)
Lauren

Just make sure that there isnt a time where you have to operate the light board (long story, we needed to simulate lightning for the wiches scene in The Scottish Play) then forget a cue, and accidently load the cue with all the house lights up.

Mod's Note:  Edited to remove the actual name of the Scottish Play.  Sorry, I'm ridiculously superstitious about that.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2007, 08:24 am by BalletPSM »
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011