Author Topic: Newbie Band Show Manager need help : (  (Read 3416 times)

sp010123

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Newbie Band Show Manager need help : (
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:22 pm »
Hi I am new here : )

I am from Hong Kong (em, u know, that city in China, used to be a British colony...well dah who cares lol) and I am studying Stage Management at the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts : ) Just starting

The problem I am facing is...fellows from my year want to have a a rock band show-cum-fashion show of our own at the end of 08/09 academic year, so it's like a showcase of us techie student's and design student's works.  And they elected me as the project manager for it. But I have only done drama and dinner shows and musicals. So I dunno how to start with.

So, some questions in my mind:
1. What is the budget for a band show with approx. 150 audience, in a studio theatre? What's the money spent on? If any budget sample can be provided it would be HIGHLY appreciated : )
2. I am doing researches on tech riders of band shows and I come across the terms PA system and sub mix, what do these two terms mean?
3. What does FOH technician do?

And any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a LOT : )

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2008, 02:25 pm by sp010123 »

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Newbie Band Show Manager need help : (
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:20 am »
So, some questions in my mind:
1. What is the budget for a band show with approx. 150 audience, in a studio theatre? What's the money spent on? If any budget sample can be provided it would be HIGHLY appreciated : )
2. I am doing researches on tech riders of band shows and I come across the terms PA system and sub mix, what do these two terms mean?
3. What does FOH technician do?

1. what is the budget for, lights, sound, PR?

2. PA system- speakers, amplifiers, mixers, processing, microphones.
The submix is usually that audio that is fed to the monitor mixer and in turn the speakers that the musicians have on stage.

3. The FOH Engineer operates the PA system, the "submix" or monitor system usually has a separate operator.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

sp010123

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:55 am »
Thank you for ur help!

As for lighting/sound equipments, we can borrow them for free from our school's stock, but we will need to buy walkies and headsets for ourselves, we will need probably 5 headsets and 8 walkies.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:28 am »
There's two ways to approach the budget question -

Approach one:  Find out how much money the school is willing/able to give the production, and work with that.

Second - try to figure out what your money needs will be and make a proposal to the school saying you think you'll need x amount of money, and be prepared to give them the list of what you think you'll be spending on it.

Be prepared to have no budget - a school show for 150 audience would typically have no budget, and would be put together with whatever you can beg or borrow.

You technical questions are all about sound, and sound equipment.  FOH = front of house, an english abbreviation.  FOH technician is the person running the sound board.  FOH is a generic abbreviation that folks will use to mean anything relating to the lobby, a sound/light booth that's at the back of a house, sometimes the box office, etc. 

Most small band riders have specifications for what kind of sound equipment that they will need, as most road houses don't have much, if any, house equipment.  What you need to do is contact each band that is playing and make sure that they each have the equipment that they need to perform (which they probably do, since they are small bands), but you should also find out what sound equipment is available at your venue and make sure that that it will work with what your bands will need.

-Centaura

riotous