Author Topic: New Stage Manager  (Read 5640 times)

NickySM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
New Stage Manager
« on: Apr 05, 2006, 01:11 pm »
Hi Everyone.

I've been on the bright side of the stage for a few years, and have decided to take a turn to the "dark side" as i've heard it called... I'm taking on the role of Stage Manager for three shows in the next few months, Noises Off, Jesus Christ Superstar and Grease.  I had some questions, regarding such things like blocking, and how some people go about their blocking, also a way of organizing cues, and maybe some knacks everyone has gathered over the years, I have great organization skills and think that Stage Management is the job for me!

Thanks in advance,
Nick.

j-la

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
New Stage Manager
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2006, 01:31 pm »
Welcome to the dark side- I got my start working with an experienced SM.
She recommended to me and I recommend to you -reading and using as a reference either "Stage Management" written by Lawrence Stern (this is the bible) or "The Backstage Guide to Stage Management" written by Thomas Kelly.
I also like "Stage Management & Theatre Etiquette" written by Linda Apperson. From these sources you can develop your own systems.
Break a leg- remember- the most important skill is listening and the most important words are please & thank you!

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
New Stage Manager
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:44 pm »
I would echo the recommendation about the T Kelly book.  Very useful, step by step primer.  Feels like you can take the information and run.  Use it wisely and everyone will think you know what you're doing even when your knees are knockin'.

Stage Management should be a practice, like medicine.  Always learning new ways to handle the next situation.

Check out the posts about musicals...they are handled essentially the same way as a "straight" play but there are some other things to consider...  And the Kelly book touches on the subject.  

Use your production manager as a resource if you have one.

You've got some big casts- a produciton analysis and detailed scene breakdown is probably going to serve you well.

Have a good time, keep positive!  (And be ready to let things roll off your back when you need to.)
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
New Stage Manager
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2006, 04:21 pm »
With Noises Off, particularly, you will probably want to talk on your director ahead of time and come up with names for each of the doors/exits in the show, so you two are on the same page with this fast-paced blocking nightmare of a show.  For example, always refer to as "bathroom door" or UR door or Door 3 or whatever, but see if you can get one label for each one, for both your benefit and the actors.  And if you have a chance to label that before rehearsals start - either the tapeline on the floor, or the actual door if you are lucky enough to use it, you'll also save some confusion time.

Erin

jensparkingonly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://jensparkingonly.com
New Stage Manager
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2006, 04:42 pm »
Another suggestion,
See if you can borrow some stage manager books from your theater's archives. This will give you an idea how to organize yourself. You can learn alot about blocking notation and cue notation this way. Try to get books from a few different SM's, to compare the different styles.
Jen Matthews
Stage Manager, AEA
jensparkingonly@hotmail.com

"In art we are once again able to do all the things we have forgotten: we are able to walk on water; we speak to the angels who call us; we  move, unfettered, among the stars." -ML

NickySM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
New Stage Manager
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2006, 05:18 pm »
Hey everyone - Thanks so much for your overwhelming support! This is definetely the feedback I was looking for, I'm going to head over to Barnes & Noble later on to see if I can check some of those books out.  Also, Whoever had the idea for the doors for Noises Off, thanks, that's a great idea, I didn't think of that, but I did know all those door cues and everything. Thanks again everyone!

Nick.

austrian_rhapsodies

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: New Stage Manager
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2007, 01:42 am »
Best advice I have:  Don't worry about making mistakes, because they will be made.  Simply, admit to them and put your energy to correcting them and making sure they don't happen again rather than fretting over something that has already happened.

newyorkcares

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: New Stage Manager
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2007, 11:39 pm »
Just be sure that you're on the same page with all of the other people you have to communicate with during the show, the light and sound board operators, etc. You don't want to get into the middle of a show and have a cue do something different than you expected.

Aww, Noises Off. The first show I stage managed.

riotous