Author Topic: New Stage Manager- New Show- International Tour  (Read 3885 times)

irdjfroggie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
New Stage Manager- New Show- International Tour
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:53 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am a new stage manager at school. I have ASM'd in the community theaters around my house, but that is the only experience I have. I have been given the job of Stage Manager at my school.

The show is a new piece written by one of my professors. The show opens in a month, and the script is still being workshopped in rehearsals. The show is set to perform for a week at the school in April, and for a week in Turkey this June.

I have not taken any classes on Stage Management, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Different forms I may need and have not done yet? Precautions to take? Items to make sure I have before the tour?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: New Stage Manager- New Show- International Tour
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:47 pm »
Please look around the student/novice sm boards and the forms thread since there is a tremendous amount of help there! Feel free to come back with specific questions we can help you address

irdjfroggie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 04:11 pm »
I am more looking for advice on the tour to Turkey.

Should I get any kind of special documentation for this tour?
Any tips for world travel of the show?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:34 pm »
Are you performing as part of a festival?  If so, you should contact the production manager.  Find out how much set up/ tear down time you will have, how much time to create lighting looks and set sounds cues.  You should get as much information about the venue and schedule as possible.

From there you can help your director figure out how to adapt your show to a touring version.  What props do you really need to bring. 

You should also figure out assigned duties.  Who will clean/prep the costumes?  Who will check you into the hotel?  It is best to work as much of this out in advance as possible.

Make sure you bring a first aid kit (check the local laws for over the counter drug distribution - some countries don't allow you to do this)

Bring any tools you need that you won't have access to there.  Bring flashlights, hand wipes and safety pins.

Learn how to say please and thank you in the local language.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:29 am »
Can you tell us a bit more about the scale of the show, the kind of venue you will perform in and if you are just doing one venue in turkey or several? That might help me give some more specificallyh useful advice.
Also I assume you have a production manager or tour manager or are you going to be doing those roles too?
How exciting for you do be doing a world premiere and a world tour!
ChaCha

irdjfroggie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2010, 08:22 pm »
Can you tell us a bit more about the scale of the show, the kind of venue you will perform in and if you are just doing one venue in turkey or several? That might help me give some more specificallyh useful advice.
Also I assume you have a production manager or tour manager or are you going to be doing those roles too?
How exciting for you do be doing a world premiere and a world tour!

The show will intially perform at my school in mid April in a proscenium theater.
We tour to Turkey in June. From my understanding the first location is outside a schoolhouse on an island which has no cars and such things.
Second location is TBA within Istanbul.
Only two venues.
I believe I am acting and Production manager and tour manager, but some of the professors are doing a lot of the back end work.