Author Topic: Need college advice  (Read 4407 times)

Gravy165

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Need college advice
« on: Jun 29, 2008, 10:41 pm »
Hey guys. I've been lurking on this site for awhile but haven't gotten around to asking for help until now. I graduated from high school in Florida in 2007 and moved to North Carolina with my family a few months after. I decided to take a couple years off after high school just to do something thinking about what I really want to do. In my junior year I helped out with a couple productions at my school which led me to an interest in stage management. I've done alot of research on it and with reading the posts on here I've decided it's what I really want to do. However, I feel as if I don't have any experience in this field. I've been researching alot of different colleges and North Carolina School of the Arts is one that really interests me. But I feel like I would have to go into college with more experience than what I have. Do you think I could be accepted into a good college with no experience in this field?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Need college advice
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2008, 11:13 pm »
A good undergrad program should not impossible to get in without extensive experience, but you should go ahead and contact the university and explain your situation.

I would expect you would assist for a year or two as an undergrad anyway, before being given shows. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2008, 09:25 am »
I suggest that look at colleges anyways.  I went to college with little experience in stage management, but in performing. and all through college I stage managed and never performed.  You can do it if that's what you really want to do.  I also suggest assisting before taking on a project of your own.  That way you can find out how that particular department works.  Thats what myself and the other SMs suggested to any newcomers.  You are so much happier when you do take on your own show.

good luck!

stephaniebyrnes

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2008, 02:14 pm »
I went to school close to School of the Arts and have worked with a lot of people from there. It is more of a conservatory than most colleges, however, few people enter college with loads of experience. Interest and a willingness to work hard and to learn are more important than the number of shows you have worked on. (which is kinda true for any university) Also, check out UNCG. Shameless plug. State school right down the street that puts on some really great shows.

Gravy165

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2008, 09:08 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I actually got a chance these past two weeks to help with my towns production of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. I'm on my way!

bbdanigrace

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2008, 09:28 pm »
My sister went to NCSA, if you need any advice about it. I didn't have any experience in Stage Management before I went to college...and in fact went in wanting to pursue acting. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to work backstage on a few shows that I really had a chance to develop my love for the management side of it.

kallulah

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2008, 01:40 am »
I could never believe that there is are colleges out there who would not admit for your lack of experience.  You go to college to learn, to acquire, to grow. I entered the theatre arts program at UM as a non-conservatory student which meant I did not have to audition and am free to explore what I would like to do most.  If I ever made the choice of going into stage management, all I have to do is take the classes and participate in the shows.  In your situation you want to go head on into stage management.  And there are conservatory programs for that which would require a portfolio.  I imagine a portfolio would consist of a few prompt books from highschool and letters of recommendation.  But you initially go to college not to build on what you already know generally, but to acquire the knowledge and skills neccesary to do what you want to do.  No highschool, unless magnet or that focuses heavily on the arts can prepare you for that. 

Definitely contact the school that you want to go to and find out what you need to know, since as of now you're simply speculating.  No one can know everything, especially as a student.  best of luck.

riotous