Author Topic: Microphone list  (Read 7288 times)

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
  • Experience: Professional
Microphone list
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:53 pm »
Hey guys,

I got a question.  I have been asked by the director and producer of a high school do come up with a list of who gets what microphone when (since we have tons of soloists and only 12 microphones).  Does anyone have or know of a proper format that I should put the info into?  I really want it to look professional.  Thanks all!

PS the show is Les Miserables.
Andrea

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Microphone list
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:06 pm »
I usually just use an Excel spreadsheet - microphone numbers across the top, songs/scenes down the side.  That way it's easy to see both who has a microphone at any given time and also plot mic changes easily.

allenah

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:58 pm »
I do the same general idea as the spread sheet; however, I also make one that has the actors names going down, and the scenes going across.  I found that often questions are asked in such a manner that both types of graphs are useful.  I prefer this addition because I can ease actor's who are quick to assume they have the mic.

It is really a "what works for you" situation
Theatre is nothing if not spontaneous.The novel can be put away, taken up, reread.Not theatre.It keeps slipping between one's fingers.Its permanent features such as scenery, script, etc. are not more theatre than two poles of a generator are electricity.

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:06 pm »
Thanks guys!
Andrea

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:31 pm »
Spread sheet is how I usually go as well.. with microphone numbers, character name and actor.

Check in our uploaded forms section, there may be on there.  I'm not completely sure though, so don't hold me to it!
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:31 pm »
I'm attaching the mic plot from when I did Les Mis.  We had 16 mics but it's the same situation.  I listed the main characters by character name and the smaller soloists by actor name.  The main issue is to make sure that if people are sharing mics you factor in enough time for the trade.  Remind them that after they finish with their mic the FIRST thing they do, BEFORE changing costumes, BEFORE getting a drink of water, is to take off their mic and return it to whatever central location you choose to do the trades in.  That's the other thing--don't have actors just hand mics off to each other.  They should check them in and out with a sound crew member and do all mic trades in that location.  It will save actors randomly leaving mics in unusual places.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

shatbox

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:20 pm »
Thank God for presets.
Seek those with standards and meet them. Exceed them. Move forward. Set the standard.
iacosta@phillytheatreco.com