Author Topic: MFA program at UC Irvine  (Read 10957 times)

west6thhaze

• New to Town
    • View Profile
MFA program at UC Irvine
« on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:34 pm »
I have done a search in the forum to learn as much as I can about this program, but was surprised not to find much specific information. 

Do we have any graduates or current students from UC Irvine on the forum??  I had an interview last night and really liked what I heard, but I would love some first-hand accounts from the students. 

For those in the know, how does UC Irvine stack up against some of the other SM MFA schools??

My interview (my first-ever grad school interview) went REALLY well, and I was told that I have an incredible resume, am going to grad school "for all the right reasons", and that I am an ideal candidate.  My interviewer asked me to come tour the campus, and I responded that as much as I would love to and as much as I know that NOT visiting would be a huge disadvantage to me I didn't think that I would be able to get the time off of work (my theater company just downsized from an 8-person staff to a 2-person staff, and I am about to begin rehearsals for our next main stage production). 

He then said that if I could find the time off of work to visit, the school would pay half the airfare for me to fly out, housing, food, and they would provide transportation to and from the airport.

What does this say to you?  Do you think that I should bank on being accepted into the school?  It does genuinely sound like they want me as one of their students, right?  Or am I reading too much into his offer, and is this more of a standard thing than I think??

Thanks for your help!  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MFA program at UC Irvine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:44 am »
regarding uci . . . .do you know if you will get teaching experience?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

west6thhaze

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 02:30 am »
Yes, from what I understand the SM undergrad classes are taught by the 3rd year MFA students, as well as some 2nd years--which means the possibility of at least three semesters of teaching.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:25 am »
That's good to know.  Some students I know who have gone through the program seemed never to teach, but did more RA-Ships.

When I was applying to grad schools, UCI was the weaker of the the programs I was seriously considering (UCSD, Yale, Rutgers, Iowa), it didn't help I didn't part of my undergrad there.  The program was lead by a different person at the time, so I know a lot has changed.  I did end up going to UCSD, and I remember my third year went did seminar one week at UCI with their students, and vice versa. I remember not being too impressed by the program at that time, but I know there was some healthy competition.

I have not run across many working SM's that hail from the program.

I would not bank that the you are safely into the school until they say yes - and I would not bank it's the right school for you until you get out there and see the school.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

west6thhaze

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:00 pm »
Thanks for your input Matthew--I really appreciate it. 

When was it that you were in grad school and you spent a week at their school??  I'm just curious on how many years have gone by between then and now.

Truth be told I am really impressed by their program setup, and it seems quite different than the other schools I have looked at. 

I am also definitely applying to Iowa and Virginia Tech, and am still hoping to apply to UCSD--though I have yet to hear back from them concerning my initial email. 

As much as it may put me at a disadvantage, Irvine may be the only school that I can visit before I make a decision.  It sucks, but I am working and cannot take the time off. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:27 pm »
I was there in 1999, I graduated from UCSD in 2000.

I actually did my undergrad at UCI, which was one of the reasons I didn't go back.  I felt I had made all of my connections I could (the head of the department agree, and it was the only school of the eight I applied to I didn't get accepted to.)

I would recommend, like I do anyone looking into grad schools, try talking to current and former students - especially while you are there - it will help you give an insight to the program.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 03:20 pm »
The interviews I've set up to have with my grad schools (thus far) build talking to current students into their itineraries. So, it's become more emphasized, I would say.  I would imagine you can get the most information from people who have been in our shoes. That's the hope. 

Good luck to you!  I'm right there with you on applying and all that good stuff.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

midnightxglimmer

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:59 pm »
The MFA program at UCI is different than most and I honestly think it is a great program, especially with the different range of people you will be working with. Plus the head of the department is amazing.

As a recent student of the Undergrad program (and Honors in SM), I feel that it isn't the program for me since I, like Matthew, feel like I've made the most of what I could here already. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every moment here but I think I need a change.

I do have a friend that entered from a different undergrad program and was accepted to UCI's grad SM MFA program and she absolutely loves it as she feels the program fit her well. I think that it all depends on what you're looking for.

RobertMillsSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: ASM for "The Illusionists 1903" 2015/16 Australian Tour
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009, 01:13 pm »
Definitely don't bank on being accepted to the program yet!

I was in the same position 2 years ago. Was invited out to the school, put up in a hotel, interviewed, toured, and even invited to some swanky gatherings by the department head.

UCI was the only grad-school I applied to. After sending an interest email before graduating from my under grad in 2006 and then taking a year off, UCI called and asked if I was still interested. I was, so I applied and went for the interview. It seemed like I had it. In my first meeting I was informed that I was 1 of 4 finalists. I thought that was pretty good for not having an impressive background. Anyhow, by the time I left the school I felt that I would be receiving an acceptance letter the next month. Instead I was not accepted. Not sure why, but it must have been the right thing. As much as I would like to know why I wasn't accepted, I never bothered to ask - just kept moving on in life.

What did catch me up while I was there on the student led tours, was how they referred to all of their performance spaces. Each space was referrerd to as "crappy". Now I know that most of us want bigger and better, but they seemed to have little to no pride in their performance spaces. It bothered me. Not saying that I wouldn't apply again because the structure of the program does appear to be exactly what I'm looking for; I would hope that their self respect has improved over the past 2 years.

I know I made a short response long.  But just be sure it is right for you. UCI showed me both the positive and the negative at the same time. Don't bank on anything, and make sure you see the whole picture before you decide anything.

Since not being accepted into UCI, I have gone on to SM for a new community theatre in Denver and now for a well established community theatre company in Las Vegas. I think all that happened was good, right for me, and happened for a reason.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2009, 01:16 am by techiething »

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:28 am »
Though I didn't personally apply or visit UCI, I have actually heard this criticism before.

Any UCI grad students out there who want to elaborate? Perhaps this isn't the perception you want from prospective students....?
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

riotous