Author Topic: looking for a good college, preferably on the east coast...  (Read 5845 times)

meatwink

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Hey all,
I'm new to this site (just joined today!), and I have some questions on colleges. I'm going to be a senior in high school this coming school year, and the process of applying to college is looming large. Obviously, I want to major in stage management, but I'm not sure what school I want to go to. I have a few in mind (Emerson, DePaul, Columbia Chicago, etc.), mostly small liberal arts schools. Can anyone recommend some schools with a good stage management program (or at least a good theater program)? Thanks so much!

p.s. if anyone can give me any information on the theater at Tufts University (i.e. personal experience or whatnot), that would be greatly appreciated!

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Re: looking for a good college, preferably on the east coast...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2008, 07:28 pm »
I just graduated from high school, so I know what you are/will be going through. I applied to DePaul and Emerson so let me know if you have any questions about them. I will be going to Syracuse University (upstate NY) this fall, so let me know if you are interested in knowing more about their program. Also let me know if you have any questions about the application/portfolio/interview process.

~Shane

rocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:58 pm »
It really depends on what your looking for in a school. I know I applied to a lot of schools with more technically progressive theater programs (Emerson for example), and then realized that what I really wanted was a more traditional school where i could focus more on the roots of management, and a receive a more universal education.

OfficerKrupke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2008, 09:38 am »
I don't know how technical it gets, but I've heard very good things about Elon Universtiy Theatre. (One of the new Spring Awakening castmembers graduated from Elon)

BethanyP

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:24 pm »
I applied to both Webster University and DePaul, but chose to go to Uof Illinois. It has a really good theatre program (and costs less if you're in state). Since I will be a freshman there this fall, I can't tell you for sure how their SM program is, but thats where i'm headed and the school was my first choice.
"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." -M.T.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2008, 01:46 pm »
I'll go ahead and recommend Brandeis like I always do  :)

If you're interested in Tufts, Brandeis is worth looking into as they are similar types of schools and are even located close together.  Brandeis has a phenomenal theater program, and the stage management training is excellent.  (It's not an SM major, it's a major in theater arts with a concentration in SM.)

PM me if you'd like more information - I could talk about Brandeis all day.  I can also put you in touch with the head of stage management there if you'd like.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2008, 08:54 pm »
I am not savvy enough to find the link, but if you do a search you will find at least 2-3 in-depth discussions on this topic that will answer a great many of your questions. I strongly urge you to check those out.

meatwink

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2008, 01:18 pm »
I just graduated from high school, so I know what you are/will be going through. I applied to DePaul and Emerson so let me know if you have any questions about them. I will be going to Syracuse University (upstate NY) this fall, so let me know if you are interested in knowing more about their program. Also let me know if you have any questions about the application/portfolio/interview process.

~Shane

Hey, thanks for replying. I was looking into Syracuse as well, but I have yet to visit. How was the application process for you? What was your reason for choosing the school? What kinds of things do you have to put in your portfolio?

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2008, 03:08 pm »
No problem. I'm sending you a PM to answer all your questions.

kallulah

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:07 pm »
As a student actor and director I've always felt great about the student stage managers that we breed at University of Miami.  They're extremely on par with what they do, and many times go beyond their duties to make a show succeed.

riotous