Author Topic: Line Notes?  (Read 4072 times)

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Line Notes?
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 11:14 am »
Regarding the past asm posts. What are line notes? Isn't that the same as blocking?What's the difference? Thanks.
Carrie

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
Re: Line Notes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 02:16 pm »
In my understanding, line notes are given to actors when they say a line that is in any way different from what is in the script or what has been changed by the director. I usually give line notes on note cards for each actor with something like p 35- "insert screwy line here..." so they know that there was something wrong with that line that day, and I also try to remind them every day to actually read the cards and look at their scripts. Some line notes are elaborate with "skipped line, missed word, jumped ahead" and boxes to check and places to write in the line, but I think that this is a little too time consuming. Some people just use a piece of paper and go in order without separating the actors. It's just a preference. I hope this helped :)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Line Notes?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:25 pm »
Line notes are not blocking.
Blocking is the notation of onstage movement by performers.

Line notes are sheets recorded by stage management and given to the performers after rehearsal/performance like a "homework worksheet." Each error an actor makes (skipping lines, substituting words, stepping on another actor's line, etc etc) is carefully recorded by the SMs and given to the performer so that they can correct their mistakes. There are several debates in various forums here regarding the formatting and distribution of line notes. You can also find some forms in the "uploaded forms" section.

riotous