Author Topic: Light Walkers  (Read 12998 times)

Theatre_Junkie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Light Walkers
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:50 am »
Ouch that would suck.  I have two actors I work with often who are 6'5".

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2007, 12:32 pm »
I used to like light walking at Uni - does that make me weird? Maybe that's why I ended up in opera...

I work a lot of community theater and end up light walking now and again. I don't mind it at all. I find that knowing the blocking and the actors can really speed the process. True, I'm shorter than a lot of the actors, so routinely stand with my hand raised above my head, but I've gotten used to it.

Owen
All the world's a Stage...

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:01 am »
I have met plenty of people who actually love to be light walkers. I keep their phone numbers on speed dial!
But I have also met plenty of people who hate it and complain, even though they keep volunteering. Weird.

Sometimes I call on a friendly donor who is able-bodied and enthusiastic about our work to come be a light walker. I usually have someone else - an intern or available staff member - hang around if I can't so the donor can get a little hospitality. This is actually a great way to give friends of the company a backstage thrill. And it often results in a nice "thank you" check - or raises their giving level after this experience. It can also be a good story for marketing purposes - small newspapers love to pick up human interest stories like this. You really have to pick the right person. But if you do, it can be a major success for the theatre's business in many ways.

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2007, 12:15 pm »
haha I didn't mean opera's are weird like THAT
haha I just meant that they are a little different costume wise sometimes... i don't know
They asked me to wear all black beacuse the actors wear all black in show
haha
Carrie