Onstage > Students and Novice Stage Managers

Learning how to read music

(1/5) > >>

SMMeade:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to learn how to read music- classes, self-taught programs, etc. Not how to call off of it, but literally just understand what sheet music means because I am clueless right now (I know some people say if you know how to count to 8 you're good- but count to 8 off of what? Beats? Is what I think is a beat really a beat? That kind of clueless). My college didn't have a music dept so I didn't have an opportunity to take any music theory classes, and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I'd love to learn because it seems extremely useful.
(I did use the search bar and found a thread slightly similar but it was more geared toward someone instructing students, so I didn't really understand the suggestions).

SMrose:
After years of calling musicals and operas with no musical training, I began taking piano lessons early last year.  It's just once a week and I find learning from someone who teaches music very beneficial. A teacher will give you insight that you can't get trying to learn on your own. The correlation between the notes on the page and the linear layout of the piano keys makes note recognition easier for me. Is there a community college in your area that has a beginning piano course or music classes?  Do you have a friend who reads music that you can meet with on a regular basis and learn from?

MatthewShiner:
Learning a musical instrument is probably the easiest way.

I learned a lot for a class called music for dancers . . . which was a lot of tones, beats, terminology . . . as well as how dancers talk to accompanists . . . which was extremely valuable.

loebtmc:
There are at least three other discussions on this topic you can find if you search - I was going to link them but after the 3rd one my computer had a hiccup - but there is a lot of info already on the boards on this topic if you give a quick look.

bex:
I learned how to read music by taking piano lessons as a kid, and I think piano is probably the easiest instrument to start with if you want to go that route.
I would suggest, though, going to a music store and seeing if they have any beginning piano or music theory books- like "music theory for dummies" or some other kind of self-teaching beginner's guide to music theory. The people at the music store would probably have some good suggestions, as well.
Maybe it's just the way my brain works, but I find music theory sort of soothingly logical. Everything has a meaning, everything has a purpose, and it's all very consistent. I'm a terrible musician but by golly I know my music theory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version