Author Topic: large scale musical --1st time  (Read 4004 times)

kmcooper09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
large scale musical --1st time
« on: Jun 20, 2008, 04:10 pm »
Hey! im a student in high school and i am SMing a community theatre production of "children of eden". i have never SMed anything, i have always been on stage. so far all i have done is a prompt book(no cues yet) and a list of all the props we need and the cast's conflicts. this upcoming week is musical rehearsals, what should i be doing. HELP ME!
"ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
-Peter Hall

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: large scale musical --1st time
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2008, 06:17 pm »
I'm about to go into tech for my first professional full-scale musical...
During music rehearsals, I made notes of any lyric changes/part changes that were made, and of anything else that was useful. Contact your music director, they ought to be able to tell you what they want from you. My only other duties during that time was rehearsal space setup, making sure that all of the company-owned instruments were in good repair, and doing attendance and that kind of thing. I'd suggest sharpening a big batch of pencils, running off a few copies of the score in case you need to make notes in it (I like to go off a xerox and then transfer to the 'good' copy of the score just before previews...) and be sure you're familiar with where songs fall in the script, etc, since that comes up a lot.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2008, 06:56 pm »
Do you have scenic changes? Do you have costume changes? If so, it is a good idea to track all of these areas. You can find forms for these in the forms forum. It is also a good idea to track the props (form in forum area) besides the props list. Chances are your props will move all around stage and to different wings of the stage.

If you have scenic changes, talk with your director about scheduling a scene change rehearsal once you get into tech. They help solve problems.

Make sure that you take down each actors blocking (Blocking discussion forum on this site. Just do a search.) This helps out a lot.

Hope this helps!

kmcooper09

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:21 pm »
thanks! you are a great help!
"ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
-Peter Hall

spikesgirl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2008, 12:00 pm »
Hey! im a student in high school and i am SMing a community theatre production of "children of eden". i have never SMed anything, i have always been on stage. so far all i have done is a prompt book(no cues yet) and a list of all the props we need and the cast's conflicts. this upcoming week is musical rehearsals, what should i be doing. HELP ME!

Okay, this is what I do, but it's by no means an exact science.  First, I get my prompt book put together and make a cast list with phone numbers, in case I need to contact them.  I get together with the director and work out a rehearsal schedule.  For musical rehearsal, do you mean singing or dancing?  Usually there's not much to do with the singing, but I will let the choreographer run through the dance a few times before putting any blocking down.  This will be your most changeable part of the blocking process, or at least, so I've discvoered in my time SMing. 

During the rehearsal process, I make down blocking, indicate where set pieces should be and make notes to myself if we need a particular prop in the scene.  Those notes I will pass on to the Prop person if it's not me.  Always have at least three sharpened pencils and a good eraser with you as you will be doing a lot of erasing at first.

I don't worry about correcting line until the actors actually dropped their scripts and start calling for lines.  Then I will take notes as to what lines cause problems and mention it to them after the reheasal.  This is unless your director tells you differently.  Remember that he or she is in charge and the only one to be calling the shots (at least until you open). 

You probably won't be getting any actual cues written down until your paper tech, which is usually a few days before your cue-to-cue and tech rehearsal.  You can't write any lighting cue down until the LD gives them to you, same with music cues and the SD.    Remember that your light cues should be numbers and your sound cues should be alpha - unless you're instructed otherwise.  Once you start into actual dress rehearsals, make sure you post a check in sheet, so that you don't have to try and figure out who is and isn't here in the madness that is tech week.  Remind the actors that while the prop people do handle the props, it is up to them to check to make sure their props are where they need to be. 

You will also have to coordinate the set changes as per your prompt book.  make sure you have eyes and ears on both sides of the stage, even if you on the deck to call the show.  We call from the booth, but always have deck managers to coordinate everything back stage.  If you have someone running flys, make sure they understand the importance of handling them correctly and to not fool around with them.  That person should be the only one handling them as well.  Safety is a primary concern of mine when a show is running.  Also make sure you have a first aid kit or at least access to one as you never know when you might need it for some reason.  have plenty of spike tape ready and have a color code written down so there is no guess work when you start spiking your set pieces for the changes.  Your crew will look to you for guidance, so you need to act like you're sure of yourself, even when you're not.

It sounds like a lot, but it all comes together pretty easily.  And each show gets easier after the current one.  Don't lose heart and know that you can always come here for help and advice.

Be strong!

Charlie
Charlie

check us out at sctlivetheatre.org

riotous