Author Topic: Internships in London  (Read 4130 times)

carebear3885q

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Internships in London
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:39 pm »
Hey Everyone!
I'm currently looking for internships in London for stage management and I'm having a hard time finding them on the internet. New York internships I can find in a second but London seems to be harder. I'm just wondering if anyone works in London and knows of some or even somewhere I can inquire about internships. That would be very helpful! Thanks!

Caroline
Carrie

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Internships in London
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 09:55 pm »
When I was in London in 2006, I interned at the Gate Theatre in Notting Hill. It was a great experience. It's a small theatre company and the people are great.  I started out as an intern there, but after proving myself I ASM'd a show for them. It was a wonderful way to gain insight into how theatre works in the UK and also just to hang out with people who aren't American.  I went with my school's study abroad program, so I lived in an apartment with other American students so it was easy not to socialize with actual people from London.  Doing this internship really helped me absorb the culture there.

So! Definitely contact the theatre and let them know you're interested. When I worked there the General Manager's name was Cath Longman. It appears she's no longer there, but Nick Abbott (the technical manager) is a great person. A lot of fun.  Here's a link to the page with internship information: http://www.gatetheatre.co.uk/jobs.aspx

Good luck (or, as they say in London) Cheers!

Britney

madkisso

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:00 pm »
Britney was this internship only available to you through a study abroad program?  Or were you studying abroad and happened to also do this internship?  And thanks for the link.
Michelle

Britney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Troilus and Cressida - One Shot Productions
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:33 pm »
The internship is available through the Gate Theatre, not a study abroad program, though my university did set up my particular internship as they have a long standing relationship with The Gate.  As you can see from the link it is a full time internship, but if you mention that you're a student, you may be able to work out different hours (longer hours on days you don't have classes, etc.)
Really, it's a great opportunity and unless the theatre has moved and undergone MASSIVE changes since 2006, it's a small operation and if you make an appointment to talk to them I'm sure they'll interview you. The current general manager, Undine, was there as an office staffer when I was there and she's nice.

It's always worth a shot to send in your CV and cover letter and see if they get back to you.

riotous