Author Topic: Inner Crew Issues  (Read 5423 times)

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Inner Crew Issues
« on: Sep 05, 2007, 04:57 pm »
I have no idea where I should put this but considering this is high school related and this is, after all, a student forum, I figured this would be alright.

I've SMed for 3 years of my high school career. I like to think that I'm good at it. Someone from our light crew all of a sudden decided she wanted to stage manage and god forbid anyone tell her no. I've made it clear that it's my senior year, it's my last musical yada yada yada I'd really like to stage manage AT LEAST that. I also said that it's up to the directors who stage manages.

She continues to be upset with me and if I ask her to do something (politely of course) she ignores me and does what she wants instead. Keep in mind there is no real teacher in charge of stage crew and it's kind of fallen on me to take the reigns.

Suggestions on how to deal with this? I'm trying to be as kind and understanding as possible but it'll get more frustrating during the shows when it's crucial to get things accomplished.
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Inner Crew Issues
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:21 pm »
Do you have a staff/faculty adviser for stage crew?  Typically clubs and organizations at educational institutions (be it high school or college) are required to have a faculty sponsor; if this is true with your stage crew I'd suggest this would be a good place to start.  If there's no direct advisor or sponsor then the director of the show may be a good place to start.  Whichever you decide, politely request to set up a time to meet with them.  Once you have a scheduled meeting you can formally express some of your concerns (in a cool, collected and matter of fact manner). 

Once it is decided who's going to be the stage manager I think it's up to faculty to intervene if there are issues with authority or taking direction from another student.  Emotions run high and it can get messy in high school productions pretty quickly. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:29 pm »
My gut reaction is that since this is high school theater and you are all there to experience and learn, so how do we turn this situation into a learning experience for our difficult friend?

Since she's point blank ignoring you, I think it's definitely time to confront the issue head on, keeping in mind that there may be other issues involved on her end that you don't know about, so approach her and be ready to listen.  She'd obviously like to be more involved, so you can let her know that the opportunity is there for her to take responsibility if she shows responsibility.  If she refuses to talk to you about it and continues to ignore your requests, then frankly there's no room in our industry for insubordination as it causes numerous problems that can be anything from just irritating to putting someone's safety in jeopardy.  Before you go there, give her the benefit of the doubt.  High school years are hard on everyone, and she may just not know the best way to go about seeing her importance in the big picture.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:13 pm »
PS We do NOT have a specific faculty member in charge. Yes, there are teachers that sort of keep an eye on us, but that's it. Normally it's up to the tech director of whichever show to get things organized.

JenniferS.

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ithaca College
  • Current Gig: Interning at the Finborough Theatre in London
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:31 am »
Is the director an adult? Or no? Has s/he expressed an opinion on the girl's wish to SM? Has she even asked about it?

I'm a senior year HS SM too. If I had your problem, and couldn't talk to the director, or another adult in charge, I would tell her that if she has a wish to SM, talk to the director herself. If s/he says no, or she won't do that, then don't show up until you can be quiet and do the job you've been given. Except more politely of course...If she tries arguing point out that you both have the same goal: a smooth, successful production and what she's doing isn't helping too much, so maybe she has her priorities a bit mixed up.

rocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2007, 04:48 am »
Out of curiosity, has she ever been ASM, or been on crew before? Is she also a senior? What you could do is shes not is let her co-sm the show, and say that your insuring that she'll be a better SM next year. Let her do all of the blocking notation, give her some experience in what its really like.  This allows you to do what you want, allows her to feel like shes doing what she wants, and lets you insure that there is an SM who knows what they are doing next year. If she has never even been ASM, you could tell her that she isn't experienced enough, or that she could ASM the show (that is if you have ASMs). Have you found out why she wants to stage manage? It's usually not just on a whim (although it could be). You could also tell her exactly what the job entails, that could be enough to make her not want to do it
best of luck.

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:16 am »
She is a junior and yes the director is an adult. She's been on crew before and yes she has been ASM, but again...there were issues.

I believe she just likes being in charge and doesn't like seeing anyone else doing so? Typically she does lights so I have no idea...

rocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:28 pm »
Try sitting down with her, in a calm environment (not a screaming match in front of the crew) and talk to her about the previous issues, explain why you want to do it (i.e. you want the production to be outstanding), explain that this is your last chance, and that she has all of next year to SM shows if whe wants to. But listen to her side of the arguement, there could be a lot of reasons why she wants to SM.

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:00 pm »
During my experience in HS as a SM, there were several people who wanted to SM, but the SM's were always director-appointed. IIRC, the director of the show is typically the one who at least has decisions over crew stuffs and should be able to deal with the situation. If there have been issues with her in the past, the director likely won't work with her. I don't think this is an issue that you should have to deal with.
-David

riotous