Author Topic: I am a Theater Generalist....  (Read 4176 times)

kallulah

I am a Theater Generalist....
« on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:03 pm »
In my next semester I will be involved in a teaching and learning class that will require me to shadow a teacher.  I will be shadowing my highschool drama teacher and he asked me if I could help him by teaching his kids how to prepare a prompt book and teach them the basics of being a stage manager.  I know I'm more than capable of all this and I've been checking out different prompt books.  I was wondering if you guys could help me filter out the professional stuff so that I can teach these kids a basic educational prompt book.  Obviously it's not best to go into too many details with highschool students and such short semesters that they have.  And I know the teacher will get frustrated with me if I go too ahead with them and outside of his lesson plan.  does anyone have any suggestions.  I thank you for your input in advance.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: I am a Theater Generalist....
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2008, 10:59 am »
You might want to find out how much the kids know/how technical the school's program gets.

Personally, I went to a highschool where we were taught -nothing- about tech beyond running the boards, and the words "stage manager" were never even uttered, but when I transfered from my community college to my university, some of the incoming freshmen had gone to schools that had tech programs better than most professional theatres. You don't want to go in there with lessons dumbed down too far.

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2008, 11:02 am »
I think you *should* go into detail, as much as time permits, *do* include the "professional stuff" whatever that is.  Just because they are highschoolers, doesn't mean they are incapable of learning, and they could benefit from a challenge.  Please don't "dumb it down" for them.  It does them a disservice, especially any who might actually be interested in the profession.

kallulah

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 01:08 pm »
I would never dumb it down for them.  These days in college professors are dumbing down material for us.  What I meant by not going into too much detail is that I can't get ahead of myself or to a point where I would be off topic.  All that the teacher wants me to do is teach them how to make a prompt book.  I want to go beyond that by teaching them why they need a prompt book to begin with and what the purpose of each section of the book is.  I want to whittle it down to the basics so as to not be teaching them something that is too outside the educational sphere.  I know for a fact that they will be using these prompt books in preparation for performances and group work.  And as a previous student of this teacher's I know that any student who is interested in the subject will ask questions about it and perhaps be a bigger participant in the work.  I just can't get too ahead of myself.  There are certain inserts of the prompt book that i'm not certain whether or not I should include them.  For example, the rehearsal reports and performance reports.  From my experience I know that the ego can play a disastrous role when students are still in the learning stages.  I know that a performance report includes notes that a director gives out during a rehearsal, but in the off chance that a student gets ahead of himself and starts giving his own notes and perhaps butting heads with the student director I would rather not include the performance report in the lesson plan.  I honestly want to teach them everything about stage managing I just want to know from your own experiences and professional or educational experiences what are the things about just the prompt book that you would save for the most interested student or for them to learn in college.  What should I teach to a class of tenth graders?  A class that is full of students are mostly taking the class for the easy A.  How do I keep it educational but not over the top?  Again thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback.

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:28 pm »
What's the scope of the class?  Does it focus strictly on Stage Mgt or does it cover tech in general?  That might help guide the depth to which we can answer.  Off the top I'd say rehearsal notes and performance reports are actually important parts of a stage manager's job and should be included, but to avoid the butting heads issue you could emphasize the note-taking aspect, keeping the task simple.  "Just record the facts and save your opinion for a different outlet". 
Topics like how to keep the integrity of the show over a 4 month run could be dropped.  I assume in a highschool setting the director or the teacher supervising would be around for all the performances and could handle those issues if they arise (the actor changing all the blocking for example).
You say you want to teach not just How but Why which I think is a good idea - depending what they are graded on maybe with your efforts the class won't be just an easy A.

kallulah

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2008, 02:37 pm »
thank you for your input BKrynicki.  The class has a Level 2 feel for highschool drama but is optional for those who prefer not to act.  So I guess you could say it's a tech class, but they focus on all aspects of tech from costumes to set design and even directing.  You're right about the note-taking.  As an assistant to the teacher I imagine I will be doing plenty of damage control so I'll make sure to prep myself for it.  I myself have never professionally stage managed but am fully aware of the responsibility and stress that comes along with the job.  I've only stage managed two shows for school and church.  I've dealt with how UN-professional a gig can be, so maybe I can relax now.  Thanks again.