Author Topic: How far in advance do you...  (Read 5473 times)

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
How far in advance do you...
« on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:08 pm »
If you're interested in shadowing an SM how far in advance should you send a request? And also, is it appropriate to request certain dates or days of the week?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: How far in advance do you...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2008, 05:49 pm »
it depends on where you are shadowing and what type of show you are shadowing.

I would say 3 months out is perhaps as far out as you would want to start arranging it, with about 4-2 weeks being ideal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 pm »
I would agree with Matthew.

As far as requesting days of the week etc.  I personally dont mind when someone asks for a certain day of the week.  Most people understand that all of our schedules are hectic.  Just make sure its clear that you understand if your dates dont mesh.  If the only dates you have available are in the middle of the show putting in a new cast member it might not work out.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

hsstagemanager12

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2008, 01:43 pm »
i also wanted to start shadowing stage managers from touring broadway productions and i know i have seen a website where you can contact all the psms but i cant find it now, any ideas?

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2008, 01:27 am »
It does depend on what type of show it is.  I've shadowed on both touring broadway shows and local shows. 

For a touring broadway show, what I've done is to find out what city the tour is in right before it comes to your city.  Then send a letter adressed to "The Stage Manager, c/o The ______ Tour" and the address of the theatre (which you can find on the theatre's website).  In the letter, ask if it would be possible to shadow, and specify that you want to do it while the tour is in your city.  And be sure to give your e-mail address.  That provides a faster and more convienent way for them to get back to you.  It's much easier to work out dates that are convienent for both of you that way.  And if the show has a longer stay, as many of the tours do, the SM might ask you to give them some dates when you are available.

If it's production that is local, I'd say ask at least 2 weeks before, but not more than 2 months in advance.

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2008, 03:26 pm »
That's super helpful, thanks guys.

Lucia :)

riotous