Author Topic: How does one become a Broadway Stage Manager?  (Read 11420 times)

Rebelsw/oapplause

• New to Town
    • View Profile
How does one become a Broadway Stage Manager?
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 04:52 pm »
Hey Guys, I know that alot of stage managers have different opinions and all but as a stage manager myself I have a goal to be a stage manager on Broadway. I wouldnt mind if I was an ASM or PSM (I prefer ASMing) I just really want to accomplish this one day. I was just wondering how one goes about applying and getting a job. I will soon be going to college for stage management, and I just want to gather as much info as possible. I've looked on playbill.com and backstage.com but you never see anything for Broadway productions. And I fully understand that you need to be extremely talented, but it doesn't seem as if age is a factor. I recently shadowed A Chorus Line on Broadway and the entire stage management team was young. Two of the stage managers were fresh out of college. So overall, I was just wondering how I could one day become a Broadway Stage Manager? How do you apply? How does everything work? Thanks alot, I really appreciate it!

:)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: How does one become a Broadway Stage Manager?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2008, 05:41 pm »
Like in the business it doesn't matter what you know, it's who you know. 

Best advice is to submerge yourself in the new york city scene, PA a bit, get in good with Broadway SM's and go from there.  I think if you ask 20 Broadway SM's how to get to be a stage manager on Broadway, you will get 20 different answers. 

Work had, schmooze and network.

Best of luck - lot's of people want to make it to Broadway.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

hopeful7

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:20 pm »
I was reading your post, and saw that you shadowed A Chorus Line on Broadway. I am currently looking to shadow a show and would love to hear how you went about the process. I don't know who to call, or where to go, or what the best way to go about this is in general. I would appreciate any advice you could give. =]

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:24 pm »
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,2995.0.html

Hi Hopeful
The link above will take you to a big thread on shadowing. Good luck!
ChaCha
ChaCha