Author Topic: How do I audition for SM at a college?  (Read 7967 times)

cindyrella

• Tourist
    • View Profile
How do I audition for SM at a college?
« on: Apr 25, 2007, 01:34 pm »
Im a junior and I've stage managed several shows, have many books, awesome recommendations, now my only problem is trying to figure out how to audition for college. Help, Please!!!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: How do I audition for SM at a college?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007, 02:21 pm »
You're going to be judged primarily on your paperwork/books and your personality. Having photos from productions is fine but you will want one or two examples of rehearsal reports, performance reports, run sheets (if you make those), rehearsal calendar, etc - plus a few sheets from your books with a good example of how you write blocking and call a show.
As for personality, you'll want to show that you are professional, mature and in control. They will ask you some typical questions that you will want to know beforehand: tell me a challenge you've had with a production...tell me about a stressful situation where you had to make a quick decision...tell me a good example of how you've worked well as part of a team...From these questions your interviewer will determine whether you can deal with stress, with different personalities, whether you make efficient decisions that get the best outcomes and whether you would benefit (and they as well will benefit) from having you in their program.

Wandering Ninja

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007, 02:49 pm »
It depends of how theatre works at your college. At my school theatre is mostly extracurricular activity run by Masque (club), however you can get some credit from it. After working on several shows and making a good name for myself I just requested the job and did not go through any sort of formal interview. I have also just been asked to SM shows with out asking if I could.
"Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without the will to start, the enthusiasm to continue and, regardless of temporary obstacles, the persistence to complete" Waite Phillips

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2007, 12:36 am »
I couldn't agree with scoot more. 

You can teach a monkey to call cues or crank out paperwork.

Good people skills and the ability to effectively communicate are the two most important tools a stage manager must have.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 12:11 pm »
You can teach a monkey to call cues or crank out paperwork.

I understand that an infinite number of monkeys, given an infinite number of headsets and an infinitely long technical rehearsal, will eventually call all the cues for all the works of Shakespeare.

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 04:37 pm »
I understand that an infinite number of monkeys, given an infinite number of headsets and an infinitely long technical rehearsal, will eventually call all the cues for all the works of Shakespeare.

LOL LOL LOL

brilliant

and true
"This time for sure."

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:51 pm »
I think I sat through that tech...
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:54 pm »
Haven't we all Hbelden, haven't we all...
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:48 am »
I agree with earlier posters on this thread . . .although most colleges are pretty up front about what they want you to bring.

DePaul didn't want me to bring anything. . . Webster asked me to bring a production book, but I think it was mostly about the interview . . How well you present yourself, you well you can articulate your ideas and how you would react given a certain situation.

"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

unistudentderby

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2007, 01:04 pm »
Just a little thought i never auditioned for Sming at college it was something my drama lecture noticed.  So sometimes it's not about the paper work but something that your just suppose to be. (bit soppy i know but i've never looked back)

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:25 am »
I guess my college is fairly laid back then? We're not a dedicated theatre school, but our theatre department is exceptional. We've got several profs who were well known in their various circles, and one of whom even has his own company that he runs during the summer when he's not professoring. To get an SM position there you need to have proven yourself by crew work on previous shows. It's usually just understood who's going to SM the show without any interviews/anything like that. There's about 4 of us who have SM'd, and only 2 of us are actually serious about what we do (the other 2... ugh)

Just work on developing a relationship with the profs. After merely a semester, I was on a first-name basis with all the profs and they were all cool with it. Definitely helps.
-David

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:14 pm »
At my alma mater, you were admitted by the department without audition or interview.  You were not allowed to SM until you had at least ASMd one show and received a good recommendation for future work from your director and TD.  They preferred that freshmen spent time rotating through the different crews (props, costume, set, lights, sound) as well as acting in a student play or film before attempting ASM.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

lilmonki in black

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2007, 12:21 pm »
Again, it depends on your college.  At my college, they don't really focus on bringing in stage managers.  I wasn't offered a scholarship until a performer dropped his about two weeks before the semester.  And I know they've bypassed stage managers for performers in the past.

At my interview, which happened at a professor's house and was probably the most awkward interview I've ever been in, I didn't have a single thing.  I should have had a resume at least.  That's all he asked for.  But I had no idea.  Going to college wasn't even in my plans until my high school teacher (bless her!) called the then department chair and told him he had to schedule an interview with me.  Now, during the recruitment period in the spring, they ask for at least a prompt book and a resume.

As far as stage managing for the department... If you want to ASM, you generally can.  It's a season of 9-10 shows so we need 18-24 ASMs.  If you want to stage manage, you have to have taken the Stage Management class, ASMed, had an informal interview with the RSM (me), and then be cleared by the department chair and the director.  We don't require anymore experience than that, since we need so many, have two, and are kind of desperate.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

We the willing led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.

IUSM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:36 am »
Quote from: lilmonki in black
At my interview, which happened at a professor's house and was probably the most awkward interview I've ever been in, I didn't have a single thing.

This statement leads to a whole different conversation on ethics and bad professionalism

I don't really want to see anything more than a resume for coming to Indiana.  Chances are (and yes there are some exceptions) you haven't had many high school shows in which you are allowed the full range of SMing.  I'm far more interested in can you think, present yourself, deal with people, and be a human.  If we are going to spend 4 years in a mentoring situation I am looking for interesting people who love to support productions of all kinds and want to learn about managing them.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007, 06:13 pm by PSMKay »

riotous