Author Topic: Help- New lighting console/ dimmer bar....  (Read 2843 times)

SM.Robert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Help- New lighting console/ dimmer bar....
« on: Nov 05, 2008, 09:52 pm »
We are in the process of updating our black box theater. We are adding a lighting console (ETC SmartFade 1248), light bar (two ETC 6 X 10A SmartBar's) and a small sound system... I’m basically in charge of this entire project, including picking out the equipment, I’m worried that we are going to get the console and it won’t be what we needed. Basically the only worry/ question I have is with programming the scenes/ cues... It needs to be able to accommodate 200 cues... Will it? I've looked at the tec specs for it and they don’t really make it clear (at least to me, I don’t do lights).... Can someone help me with this?

Thanks!

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Help- New lighting console/ dimmer bar....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:06 pm »
It looks like you can program 199 cues.
You should call a dealer or rep and explain your needs, they will guide you to the right product.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Help- New lighting console/ dimmer bar....
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2008, 10:24 pm »
I don't believe you can program proper "cues" with this console.  Reading the instruction manual and product specs found here it looks like you're able to program "sequences" (what a sequence is, I've got no idea).  I don't see any mention of the word cue anywhere with this product, whereas if you switch over to a console like the ETC Express or ETC Expression 3  it very clearly states 600 cues.  My guess, you can't program cues at all with this unit. 

I'd recommend contacting their sales department and speaking with them.  They should be able to define what exactly a sequence is.  It must be something different than a cue, otherwise they'd just call it a cue and not a sequence.  Maybe it is something that will work for your application.  If it won't work, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt