Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 6664 times)

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
HELP!
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:48 pm »
Right, i just found out that on Saturday i will be stage manager/sound plug-up/backline for an outdoor event the venue i work at is holding. Now backline and sound i have been doing for years, but sm is something i've never done before.
can anyone offer me any tips or advise?
Thanks.

Al

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:29 pm »
What kind of event is it? Multiple bands? A drama? ...it would help to have a few more details. But basically get a list of what is supposed to happen and when it is supposed to happen and who is suppose to make which bits happen. Make a list of all the things you or anyone else will need to make it happen and organise to have them there. Put up schedules everywhere you can for people to track the event backstage. Then on the day do whatever it takes to keep everyone to the schedule. Keep saying loudly "there is 1/2 an hour/5 minutes (or whatever) until I need ...the soundcheck to start/finish/all cast and crew offstage/until the changeover"...that's pretty much it!
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:04 am »
It's a blues festival. There are going to be multiple bands outside in a marquee. So i need running orders phone numbers so i can call the bands if they are running late, riders etc?

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:31 am »
yep, contact numbers are good. And check with whoever set it up what info the bands have been given about soundcheck times and changeover times. These events get behind when musos are not wrangled well and changeovers take forever. Maybe see if they can itentify the main contact person in each group for you. You sound like you've got the general idea. Just dont be shy about presenting yourself as the person who is in charge - even if you dont really know what you are doing, if you sound like you do people will fall into line. I dont mean boss people about for the sake of it - if you dont know what needs to happen ask people, but make sure everyone understands you run the schedule and that its not negotiable. Dont fall for the we just need 10 more minutes line - if you can give them the 10 minutes do so, but tell them after 5 that theve got five minutes left and then ask them to wrap up right on 10 in a big loud voice...
chookas!
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:46 pm »
Ok, thank you very much, i'll get hold of as much info as i can tomorrow so i can be prepared for saturday. Wish me luck and i'll let you know how it goes..

Al

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 10:11 am »
It just occurred to me that you should probably check what your responsiblities, if any, are to FOH. Do you have to get clearance from the FOH manager to start/restart after interval or is that your call.Also check on any emergency procedures that may be in place and where you fit in to them as stage manager (if they have any!)

Do let us know how it went!
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:13 pm »
mate, thank you so much! It went really well! The hall manager, after looking at the running order and turnaround times allocated, reckoned we'd end up half an hour behind schedule. However, for the most part we were bang on, some fell 5 mins behind due to technical issues, and one fell 15 mins behind, due to the size of the group and the lack of time to set them up in, they came down 10 mins late as they ignored my order to finish up and my manager over-ruled my decision to pull the pa. This left us with 5 mins to get a 9 piece off and set up and check a 5 piece. We had it in 10 :)
Got a personal commendation from the hall manager, the technical manager, the promoter, the head lampie and the halls head SM (who was running the main stage, but came in every now and then to check on things). And to top it off i actually had a great day, once the nerves wore off it was a good laugh.
Thank you again for your help mate

Al

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 10:06 am »
Welcome to stage management!
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:33 am »
haha, thank you, only problem is i can't seem to turn it off!! i've found myself constantly giving orders.. lol never mind.

Al

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:34 am »
 :)obviously born to the job - sound has just been a detour!

PS Just out of curiousity- whereabouts in the world are you located?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 09:37 am by ChaCha »
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:15 pm »
Haha, well we're doing another festival in a couple of weeks and i've been given the SM job again!! 3 days this time!! O.o
It'll go fine, i'm a hell of a lot more confident this time. Just have to remember to get artist liaison to send the artists directly to me as opposed to the promoters as they are useless!
I am actually based in Leicester, UK. Yourself?

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 11:00 am »
Perth, Western Australia.

Yep, you've got the job 'forever' now by the sound of it. Luckily you seem to have enjoyed it.

Cheers
ChaCha
ChaCha

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2007, 03:43 am »
Yeah, it was a good laugh. Well just under two weeks till the 3-dayer... Hopefully it'll go as well as the last time.

al long sound

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2007, 02:29 pm »
And tomorrow the Big Session starts... apparently my stage is mainly singer/songwriters. So shouldn't be too bad.

ooo the fun... three days.... lol

riotous