Author Topic: Graduate School: how soon to apply  (Read 5414 times)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
Graduate School: how soon to apply
« on: Jul 19, 2008, 12:36 am »
Hi, all -

I am considering returning to get a masters degree in Stage Management.  I have a bachelors degree, though it is in fine arts, not stage management. I've been stage managing for over 4 years now, though and have a solid portfolio and I think pretty good experience.

I've been considering returning to school, but don't know how soon is too soon to apply...

Thoughts? Is it too soon?  What do grad schools look for?

Thank you,
Amie
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Graduate School: how soon to apply
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2008, 08:52 am »
I think that 2-4 years after undergrad is an ideal time to return.  The longer you wait, the harder it is t get back into the swing of school.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2008, 11:09 pm »
I'm about 4 years out and in that time, have gained experience.  So, you are telling me it's not a pre-requisite to have professional/equity under my belt before I apply for graduate school?  I've heard that before, and wanted to know some thoughts.

Thank you for sharing!
Amie
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2008, 11:18 pm »
To be honest, it depends on the program.  A lot of people I know have gone straight from undergrad to grad school.

I think it's best, and it's desirable to get some experience under your belt before returning to grad school, just so you know what you need and what you need to get out of the grad school experience. 

Very few people already have their Equity card when going to grad school. 

Stop listening to other people, and take the time to start contacting the grad schools think you want to attend and talk to the admissions staff there.  Get the info straight from the source.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008, 12:14 am »

<<<
Stop listening to other people, and take the time to start contacting the grad schools think you want to attend and talk to the admissions staff there.  Get the info straight from the source.>>>

Very helpful. All of it. And reassuring!  Will do! Thank you!
~ Amie ~

stagemanagersam

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UCSD MFA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2008, 03:33 am »
When I applied to graduate school last year a lot of people told me that I would have a slim chance of being accepted because I was applying right out of undergrad. I decided to apply anyways and was accepted to 5 programs including my first choice. So I'd say, apply whenever you want as long as you are confident in yourself.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2008, 02:31 pm »
When I applied to graduate school last year a lot of people told me that I would have a slim chance of being accepted because I was applying right out of undergrad. I decided to apply anyways and was accepted to 5 programs including my first choice. So I'd say, apply whenever you want as long as you are confident in yourself.

Wonderful to know! thanks!
~ Amie ~