Author Topic: Graduate Placement  (Read 3783 times)

samharman1989

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Dissertation - Theatre and the World of Gaming
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Graduate Placement
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:28 am »
I'm a Theatre and Performing Arts student at Worcester University. Or at least I was until last week.

I've just completed my course and feel slightly under-prepared for the world of work. I'd love to enter the industry, but I'm unsure how, short of marching into reception and asking for a job. Stage management and Technicals are the areas I am most interested in.

Any advice at all would be warmly welcomed
Thanks for your time

G.Miciak

Re: Graduate Placement
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:54 pm »
I'm still in university, but the vast majority of the work I get is through someone I know, not jobs I apply for. I would start putting the word out to anyone you know in the industry that you are looking for work. (Obviously, you should apply for jobs too, even if you don't know anyone in the company.)

In your case, your degree sounds like a general theatre degree. Something that helped me get comfortable working in the theatre (before I started university) was volunteering wherever I could -- community to large regional theatres. I met a lot of people that work in the industry (yes, even in community theatre) and some of them got me work later on.

I am sure that those who have been in the industry longer than me (which is almost everyone) may have a different perspective, but that is what I found as a student.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:18 pm »
Apply for jobs- there are a lot of websites that post theatrical job listings. An internship or apprenticeship can be a great way to get experience and make contacts. You can send out resumes and cover letters to theatres in your area- you never know, someone could be hiring.

For the most part, I think that it's a matter of timing- being in the right place or speaking to the right person at the right time. You can increase your odds by really getting your name out there and making it easy for someone to find you. What G.Miciak said is true- I get most of my work from someone I know, rather then just sending resumes, but it's definitely worth the effort to put your info out there for people who are hiring.

Look into local resources- is there a website that is specific to your region that posts theatrical jobs? Is there a directory of theatres that you can send resumes to? Is there a "cattle call" for technicians that you can attend? Find ways that you can actively pursue employment- it's not going to fall in your lap.

I highly recommend the internship route. It's a way to get your feet wet and make contacts at the same time, as well as gain experience and build your resume.

samharman1989

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Dissertation - Theatre and the World of Gaming
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:14 am »
This seems like good advice, thank you. I've applied for a technical trainee position in Oxford, along with a couple of other applications and work experience/placement requests.

Thanks Again :)

riotous