Author Topic: Good Reads  (Read 6107 times)

RachaelBaciocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Good Reads
« on: Apr 24, 2013, 10:53 am »
Hello!
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good books to read on stage management, lighting, sound, set design, basically anything involving the tech side of theatre.  I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible so when I will be as best prepared as I can for hands on experience I will get in the future.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know!  I know a lot involving theatre you learn from actually doing, but I would love to be as well read in the subject as I can.

Thanks!
Rachael Baciocco
message me with any advice! =)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Good Reads
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2013, 11:00 am »
The Backstage Handbook is a must-have for anyone interested in the technical aspects of theatre. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

yomanda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2013, 02:27 pm »
Hey Rachael.  I am pasting the link to 3 different threads where book recommendations have been discussed to get you started.
Stage Management Handbook, Just Got a New Book, and Stage Manager Books/Manuals
The search bar is a wonderful thing.  :)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2013, 10:42 pm »
Some good books I have about the technical side of theatre (outside stage management) are:

Theatrical Design and Production by J. Michael Gillette:
This is the textbook I used in college for my intro level classes in lighting and sound. I still use it as a reference when I have to tackle a technical job or problem. It has information about all aspects of technical theatre and I have not found the need to purchase any other books for basic things. I always go here first, and then google more specialized questions I may have. It also goes into makeup, costuming, scenic elements and the design process. I wouldn't suggest sitting down and reading it cover to cover (I haven't seen the need for that) but rather as a good reference book. I have the 5th edition from 2005, but it looks like they released a 7th edition last year. It is on Amazon.

Scene Painting Projects for Theatre by Stephen Sherwin:
I got this book just recently when I took a job at a high school as the TD and needed to supervise painting. It goes into depth and step by step for all sorts of theatrical painting techniques. It has really great pictures of what each step should look like. It was developed by a scenic painting teacher after he realized that a book like this doesn't exist. It is a great resource if you need this kind of specific information. I had to special order this one from Barnes and Nobel.

I agree that it is great to have a foundation in theory before you learn in a hands on way, so props to you for taking the first step. Your education is always what you make of it. I think it is really great too to have reference materials because sometimes you will have long stretches of time where you don't have to worry about anything technical, and then you get a job where you are expected to mix sound or change lamps and it is nice to be able to read up on how to do it and give yourself a refresher. You can always google these things, but there is something to be said for a good book (that is another discussion entirely!). 

Hope this helps!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2013, 12:26 am »
Monona Rossol has several books on Health & Safety in the performing arts that are great reads. Her first was "Stage Fright," which I own and love, and she has subsequently come out with two editions of "The Health & Safety Guide for Film, TV & Theater," which is apparently the updated version.

RachaelBaciocco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2013, 12:47 am »
Thank you so much, everyone!! These are all going to be very helpful =) if you think of any more, please let me know!
message me with any advice! =)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2013, 07:12 pm »
Theatre Management by David Conte and Stephen Langley. It's more about producing theatre as a whole and less about backstage work specifically, but it has a lot of info about how theatre organizations are structured and managed.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2013, 08:43 pm »
Also while searching things today I stumbled across this: http://www.middlebury.edu/media/view/444123/original/sms_do_make_coffee.pdf

It is an article (previously discussed in the archives) that is kind of like an introduction to stage management. It is a really great read!

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:29 pm »
I second the recommendation for the Conte & Langley book. One of my professors used it for my theatre management class. I still use it as resource when job hunting so I have an idea of what to expect with different types of companies. It also touches a bit on the management perspective of working with unions and contracts.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

riotous