Author Topic: First Tech Rehearsal  (Read 6481 times)

kaitlinmarie

• New to Town
  • I'm too reliable for my own good. That's why I SM.
    • View Profile
First Tech Rehearsal
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 12:40 pm »
I'm about to run my first Tech Rehearsal ever as a PSM.

Any advice, suggestions, help in any way you can offer me?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: First Tech Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2007, 04:18 pm »
Be on time and organized, and you can never have too many pencils.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2007, 05:15 pm »
Keep a good attitude and sense of humor throughout, even if things are stressful. You can definitely help set the tone of the room.

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2007, 07:49 pm »
Just stay calm and focused under pressure.  Your cast will be looking to you for support and believe it or not, your mood can completely change the attitude of the cast and crew.  Just relax, stay organized, and make sure that everyone is on task and doing their job.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2007, 11:08 pm »
Don't forget to eat, stay hydrated, and delegate tasks!  I almost passed out my first tech because I was running around trying to do everything myself and forgot to eat or drink any water.  It made for a very unpleasant day. 

nmno

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007, 01:17 am »
Take breaks.  It's easy to get sucked in to answering questions, etc on the breaks, but you deserve and NEED one too.

When you stop and are waiting because people are working (building a Light Cue, backstage needs to talk through a costume change, etc) make sure you know who you are waiting on and that THEY know who you are waiting on.  Many a tech minute has been wasted and followed by the words "oh, were you waiting on me?  I'm done"

Breathe.

sailor_sam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2007, 01:46 am »
Don't forget yo simile!  :)  It makes people around you happy.   Also, "Please and Thank You" go a long way during tech week. 

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2007, 02:23 am »
Just stay calm and focused under pressure.  Your cast will be looking to you for support and believe it or not, your mood can completely change the attitude of the cast and crew.  Just relax, stay organized, and make sure that everyone is on task and doing their job.

I couldn't agree more with KC.  If your cast and/or production team see you running around like a chicken with your head cut off then it's easy for everyone to jump to panic mode.  Take control of the tech process, but try to avoid acting like a tyrant when doing so.  All of your words, actions, etc.. should be deliberate.  If people are panicking, slow the process down.  If people are lounging around and wasting time, pick it up.

If you're lucky enough to have the ability to quickly assess what makes people tick you'll have even more success.  Some folks need a task-master on top of them to drive them, and will react very positively when someone does that.  Others will panic and implode on themselves if someone is riding their back relentlessly.  The ability to adapt your management style on the fly at the drop of a hat is crucial. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

kaitlinmarie

• New to Town
  • I'm too reliable for my own good. That's why I SM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007, 01:25 pm »
Thanks all! I successfully survived my first 10 out of 12!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2007, 05:24 pm »
Big Ups to you!  ;D

keypalsman

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:09 am »
Be ready to go with plenty of pencils, coffee, and post-its(hide the post-its from the actors)

riotous