Author Topic: Finding work  (Read 4213 times)

JJ Hersh

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UC Santa Cruz
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Fellow at Arena Stage
  • Experience: Professional
Finding work
« on: Dec 27, 2016, 03:02 am »
I recently was let go of from a stage management position where I'd been working for three months, and now for the first time since I graduated 6 months ago, I'm finding myself out of work. I've never had to actively look for work, I've always been suggested to people who contacted me. Now, I'm realizing that I'm not really sure how to find stage management positions outside of a university setting. Are there specific websites that I should look at? Any suggestions for networking in such a way that people think of me when looking for a stage manager? Any advice on how to talk to hiring managers? Generally, any advice you all are able to give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Finding work
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:35 pm »
There are a number of threads on this forum about finding jobs, so I'd recommend doing a search.

Are you looking for work in your current geographic area, or are you open to traveling? What kind of work are you looking for- theatre, dance, opera, or something else? Have you considered doing an internship or apprenticeship? They can be a great way to expand your skills and your professional network.

You can network with people you already know- professors, people you've worked with previously, etc. You can do a resume mailing to the theatres in your area. You can look on job websites or listservs to see what jobs are posted.

I'd be happy to post some more specific advice, but knowing the answers to a few of these questions will help. :)

PorkyCat

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Finding work
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2017, 01:25 am »
Are you looking for work in your current geographic area, or are you open to traveling? What kind of work are you looking - theatre, dance, opera, or something else? Have you considered doing an internship or apprenticeship? They can be a great way to expand your skills and your professional network.

I think you need to be open to traveling if you want consistent work in this field.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2017, 09:43 am by PorkyCat »