Author Topic: Technology: computerized paperwork  (Read 7840 times)

youngthespian

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Technology: computerized paperwork
« on: May 24, 2006, 04:30 pm »
As I am an expertise on all technical positions from run/props/puppet crew to follow spot operator to light and sound board operators to ASMing and a little bit of SMing, I have a few questions for the experts.

What is the best program to make rehearsal/performance reports, production meeting minutes and any other paper work? Microsoft office??? Is there any special software for stage managers?

I am interested in any thoughts!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:40 pm by PSMKay »

KC_SM_0807

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
computerized paperwork
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 05:15 pm »
I believe that there have already been a few posts about this topic... and the different paperwork/software that SM's use...

I generally use Office, both Excel and Word,  and I use iCal as well to make up calendars since I have a Mac.
"Perhaps, therefore, Stage Managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds."

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
computerized paperwork
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:08 pm »
I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it. I know some people who use Access or another database program like it so that all the forms are filed in a database. Most use MS Word and Excel (or OpenOffice.Org Writer and Calc).

LindaKim

• Tourist
    • View Profile
computerized paperwork
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:48 pm »
Quote from: "KC_SM_0807"
I believe that there have already been a few posts about this topic... and the different paperwork/software that SM's use...

I generally use Office, both Excel and Word,  and I use iCal as well to make up calendars since I have a Mac.

Whoo-hoo! Mac users unite!

(sorry... I'm a geek. What can I say?)
Due to circumstances beyond our control, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
If you see a light, it's probably a freight train.

LindaKim

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: EXCEL!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 09:27 pm »
Quote from: "scoot"
(although I can give you 10 reasons why excel is better than anything).

i would agree with that.
Excel is a great program for making big lists with very little effort.

Linda
Due to circumstances beyond our control, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
If you see a light, it's probably a freight train.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
computerized paperwork
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 08:11 pm »
hmm...I would like to hear those 10 reasons.  =)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
computerized paperwork
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2006, 02:31 am »
Okay, I will bite (this applys mainly to spread sheet applications in general, as opposed to "Excel")

1. Keeps fields lined up
2. Easy to use
3. Formatting is quick and easy
4. Formulas for calculating date/times etc
5. Ability to add rows and columns into the form without messing up the formatting
6. Recognised file format
7. Work book feature allows you to copy a 'template' sheet to create a new record within the work book (ie rehearsal reports can be kept in the one file)
8. Ability to use Macro's
9. Well supported application
10. Almost everyone has it.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
computerized paperwork
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:00 am »
yeah...I think I can go along with  all of those!
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
computerized paperwork
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:05 am »
10. Almost everyone has it.

And if they don't have it, they can download a free viewer from the Microsoft website that will allow them to view and print the worksheet.  I do my rehearsal schedules in Excel and send them out via email to the cast and artistic staff. When I send out the schedule for first rehearsal, I always include the link in the body of the email letting them know that my schedules are done in Excel, and if they don't have the program, that they can download the viewer for free.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
computerized paperwork
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2006, 11:04 pm »
I've said all this before, but so often in the small regional theaters where I work, folks use their own or older office computers and only have word - they can't open excel (and don't want to add it to their older computers) - so I use word as much as possible. I find it just as easy to do - each has it's places where it's easier or harder to use, but everyone seems to be able to open a word doc while I have had frustrated designers and crew who don't have/can't open excel.

Libby

Re: computerized paperwork
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:44 pm »
You can also save an excel file as a PDF. Even older computers usually have Acrobat Reader or a PDF reader of some sort. Then, depending on what it is I attach both the excel and the PDF. You can also just attach the PDF and that way the document cannot be edited. For example I find this useful when sending a large contact sheet. If not, I find that people will often send back the document with the changes and then i have to search through it to find what they edited. This way they are forced to send just the problems.

biff

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2006, 05:18 pm »
you can check out this place too - newbielink:http://www.theatermanagementtools.com [nonactive]

Biff

ESM_John

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2006, 10:53 am »
I generally use Microsoft Office as i know that the formats will work on both a PC and the Mac i use. Excel is a great program and there is sooo much you can do with it, especially when you have to deal with anything with a budget, but even for simpler tasks like attendance sheets and run sheets.

Word is great if u want to take your excel sheet and give it a nicer heading, graphics or have other typing to do. I type up my performance and rehearsal reports on Word.

iCal, Outlook's Calendar, and some online ones are all really good calendar tools (iCal by far the best in my mind) for anything having to do with scheduling. Make good use of the color coding and "Type" fields.

There is a program made for the mac called FinalDraft which is specifically made to format scripts and screenplays, though i havent used it yet, and have done a lot of script formatting in Word, i have heard some good reports for this program as well.

Good Luck!

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:20 pm »
This FinalDraft software looks pretty cool, it is for both Mac and PC.

http://www.finaldraft.com/index.php4
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

riotous