Author Topic: Dropping Cards?  (Read 13890 times)

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dropping Cards?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 01:57 pm »
Barn doors are not old school  -- they're still used with modern fresnels.  And they aren't used to get different throw angles but used instead to cut the light beam -- like shutter cuts on an ellipsodal (which is what I think you mean by "mask" -- but if someone referred tot he masking on a fresnel, I would assume they meant a piece of scenery or soft goods blocking the instrument from sight.
They could also be talking about Rosco Cinefoil Black Wrap or a similar product.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2008, 02:31 pm »
Barn doors are not old school  -- they're still used with modern fresnels.  And they aren't used to get different throw angles but used instead to cut the light beam -- like shutter cuts on an ellipsodal (which is what I think you mean by "mask" -- but if someone referred tot he masking on a fresnel, I would assume they meant a piece of scenery or soft goods blocking the instrument from sight.
They could also be talking about Rosco Cinefoil Black Wrap or a similar product.

Hard to imagine them getting "different throw angles" from black wrap.  Or are you referring to masking with wrap...?

jmc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2008, 04:23 pm »
Your probably right Scott, however from the post I doubt Source3 would be refering to something like the Strand Patt 102 effects projector or similar, as the focusing lenses don't 'flip flop' as sugested. rather they slide on two rails protruding from the lamp. If this is what you were refering too?
From the pic that was posted, it is difficult to determine if the references was to a Fresnel or a profile.
Come to thing about it I last seen a Patt 102 used almost 50 years ago at the Goldersgreen Hippodrome. They were developed during the advent of rock 'n roll & were usualy well & truly cream crackered in a very short order, because of the open lens design & with commercial usage.
Also with fresnel beam masking this is another situation where local terms tend to differ.
Beam masking be it from a shutter or barndoor on a profile, flood or fresnel is reffered to as masking & shaping the beam, including light ray scatter masked by a snoot or whatever.
Upon rereading the initial post in question, I now realise I brushed over the term 'throw'. Being more concerned with the 'B' device question, thanks for picking up on that, of course this would have made a difference to my reply, but for that 'B' word?
G'donya!

Tio Tio Chookas
{May you always play to a full house}
'Hear the light & see the sound'

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2008, 08:19 pm »
Hard to imagine them getting "different throw angles" from black wrap.  Or are you referring to masking with wrap...?
I was in fact referring to the use of blackwrap as mask.
Philip LaDue

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:05 am »
Ok, I'm going to ask about the exact name of these things. They were pre-Source Four. The lights for which Source Four was designed to replace (essentially). I believe either Rosco or ETC bought out the company that made them, but I don't remember which. I'll talk to my LD on Monday and find out.

As for "kabuki".... I think we're going to stick with "Chinese Propmen" but put an asterisk behind it with an explanation so as not to piss of the locals so to speak.
-David

sourc3

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2008, 12:08 pm »
Berkie Colortran Mini-Ellipses! That's the name of them. Anyhow.
-David

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2008, 06:10 pm »
Berkie Colortran Mini-Ellipses! That's the name of them. Anyhow.
Berkey Photo bought Colortran in the 1970s.
Philip LaDue

sourc3

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:18 pm »
Hmm.... I thought it was the other way around? Or does Berkie (Berkey?) Photo still exist as the parent company for Colortran?

Wow... this thread has gone waaaaaaaay off topic.
-David

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2008, 07:30 pm »
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Can we please steer this thread back on topic.

*Mod hat off*

P.s. - why do you Americans have to be different and give your fixtures different names to the rest of the world?

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:30 pm »
P.s. - why do you Americans have to be different and give your fixtures different names to the rest of the world?
We mess with everything, football and beer for example.
Philip LaDue

riotous