Author Topic: Do you have a preferred type of show?  (Read 7938 times)

skvant

Do you have a preferred type of show?
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:13 pm »
As I continue to stage manage more shows and for different types of theaters/productions, I am finding that I get more excited about a certain type of theater more than others. I'm guessing that this is not uncommon, but I’m curious to others' experiences.  Have you found that you prefer to stage manager a specific type of theater, like musicals, traditional, experimental, etc., over others? Have you found that you need different skills for different of shows, or maybe just heighten some of them vs. others?

Best,
Jenny

EDIT: Clarified topic for easier skimming from the index - PSMK
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007, 02:48 pm by PSMKay »

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Do you have a preferred type of show?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:11 pm »
I love new plays.  There's something about being involved in the process of creating something that really clicks for me.  And even though I've done a lot of workshop-type productions with few cues, the rehearsal process is usually a lot more exciting, I find, as things are constantly changing. 

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:27 pm »
I love doing anything, but my favorite is musicals.  I've loved musicals since I was a little kid, yet I lack any musical talent.  This way I'm still doing what I love.  I also love calling song and dance sequences, having to learn how to time your cues to the feel of the music. 
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2007, 11:50 pm by killerdana »
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:50 pm »
I find musicals a welcome challenge (there are just so many people involved!), but mostly I'm all about the straight play.  I like seeing how a director puts his or her own stamp on an established work.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:38 pm »
Something I can sing along to in the car. Then, about two months into said show, something that I can sing along to whilst bashing my head in with a beer bottle to try and get the shows songs out of my head.

Musicals all the way.

debos23

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:51 pm »
I worked on three Shorts Festivals (each had eight 10-15 minute plays) at CATCO, and one full-length new play.   They were the most challenging, satisfying, difficult, and fun experiences I've had professionally.  I love working with playwrights and the exciting (and chaotic and sometimes painful) dynamics of putting up a work-in-progress.

SummerShakespeare

• New to Town
  • Good Googly Moogly!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:18 pm »
Something I can sing along to in the car. Then, about two months into said show, something that I can sing along to whilst bashing my head in with a beer bottle to try and get the shows songs out of my head.

Musicals all the way.

Hahahahahaha! I totally understand! Les Mis still sends shudders down my spine!
I do love musicals even though working on something new just brings me closer to the project
All on the same G.O.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2007, 04:09 pm »
Musicals or Opera, although I do have a list of plays I'd love to do.
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:23 pm »
Musicals, closely followed by ballet.  In my current job we do one musical a year, which I usually get to do, as the other SM is non-musical and I'm a trained musician.  I haven't had a chance to work on a ballet for ages and probably won't until I change job...which I'm not planning to do in the near future.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:36 pm »
I like opera, and plays are always where my heart will really live.

But actually, for the adrenaline rush, I love big gala events or tour one-offs. Something where you have half a rehearsal, multiple followspots, patchwork run sheets, VIPs, and a balloon drop. Total fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants. Calling the over-and-out on those monsters brings a frantic satisfaction like no regular shows I've done.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:57 pm »
Work in corporate AV then - you will quickly get over it... What I wouldn't do for a properly formulated run sheet, a rehearsal, programming time, and for a night where confetti cannons and balloon drops were not thought of or mentioned. Then there are the VIP tables... Make sure that the table spot on the table is perfect, make sure that nothing obstructs their view... Bonus of working in the industry though is that I have met many a famous actor/musician when I have been using the green room staircase as a shortcut.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2007, 11:00 pm by Mac Calder »

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:34 pm »
Love SMing Opera, Musicals, and Dance best, but after several in a row, I long for a nice, easy, straight play.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:57 pm »
I love new plays.  There's something about being involved in the process of creating something that really clicks for me. 
Me too. I like taking the show full circle, from pre-production ideas to first-read-ever to closing curtain; that journey is even more interesting on a show that’s never been done before.  Besides, every classic play was once a brand new script that some theater took a chance on…I can always imagine that this new play has that potential, too.

Love SMing Opera, Musicals, and Dance best, but after several in a row, I long for a nice, easy, straight play.
   Just remember straight plays are not, by definition, easy plays.  They just have different kinds of challenges than musical theater.  Yes, this comes from someone who isn't a fan of musicals, but that’s just because they tend to have too much singing and dancing for my taste :-).
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:03 am »
festivals! then you get a bit of all thne forms and a 2-3 week adrenaline rush! (you gottalove street theatre groups from france...)
ChaCha

riotous