Author Topic: Director Dilemma  (Read 4029 times)

StageLeft

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Director Dilemma
« on: Jun 23, 2009, 12:07 am »
So my director does not trust me in the least, mostly because I'm so young (high school)...
I do see where he's coming from, as i don't have a whole lot of experience - but it's not like the shows we do are that extensive. Anyways, i know i'm capable, and really, i'm here to learn - but the director just wont let me do my job. He doesnt really want me in rehearsal, and tells most of the vital information to his 'assistant', the guy he really trusts. That, or he doesnt know what a stage manager's job actually is. What do i do? How do you handle situations like this?

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Director Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2009, 12:17 am »
I would suggest you sit down with him and talk over your duties and what is expected of you. This really is a good idea in general because you should never presume that you are on the same page. Everyone has different expectations. Its good that you are learning this so young.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2009, 05:21 am »
Definitely sit down with him - ask him what his expectations of you are, and also tell him what you think you're going to be doing and what you want to get out of the show.  I've been in a similar situation, except that I was being employed as a stage manager and had plenty of experience, but my director just did not trust me in the least, to the point of going to the production manager (my direct boss, who knew I could do the job properly) and asking him if he thought I was going to cope alright and get through production week.  Thankfully he said that he trusted me implicitly, and we did get through production week remarkably easily (it was a complex show) and since then she's had a lot more trust in me and we've developed a good working relationship.  Some directors you do just have to prove yourself to, and once you've done that you're fine.  Just keep trucking on, do your job properly and you'll find yourself earning trust where it's due.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2009, 10:00 am »
I agree with what other people have said, but I'd also make sure to get the assistant in the room. I've found that sometimes that assistant director and the SM can have a little overlap (I've held both jobs).
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2009, 06:39 am »
Hi StageLeft
I am just wondering how you are getting on with the Director and AD now - has the situation changed at all?
ChaCha
ChaCha

crazychicksj

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:47 pm »
I've found myself in similar situations more than once, I was wondering how it all turned out for you?
I know the worst I've had happen is a director who quite literally told me my job was to get the AD coffee and she would do everything else. Needless to say he is no longer employed by that particular school for errr- having unrealistic expectations of the students.