Author Topic: Definition of Production Stage Manager  (Read 20826 times)

JDL

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Definition of Production Stage Manager
« on: Jul 06, 2008, 10:35 pm »
What are the duties/job specs for the Production Stage Manager vs. Stage Manager or ASMs? I've been looking for the answer forever!
Thanks for the help!
AlL tHe WoRlD's A sTaGe... AnD i'M oFf BoOk!

Kilodolcevita

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Definition of Production Stage Manager
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2008, 01:11 pm »
newbielink:http://www.playbill.com/features/article/98021.html [nonactive]

found this article recently, so feel free to read. But otherwise..
PSM roles pretty much vary from my understanding, depending on who you're working for. If you're PSMing a National Tour, it is definitely different than working for any one theatre NY/LA bound or not.  I guess the PSM pretty much becomes the director once a show starts, as the director no longer comes to shows. He manages the production... and all the questions or changes that may go occur or need to be made.  All the departments of the show feed to him, with as well as his SM's and ASM's. I'd check out the internet to see if you can get in touch to talk with one... I met The PSM of a broadway tour last week,and shadowing/talking with him helped very much with understanding his job. If you can't find it anywhere online, I'd say go shadow one.. the experience will help you understand the job having been able to see it done rather than just reading of the job. Hope this helps..

liamproche

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: PSM-FGO
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2008, 06:52 pm »
The term "Production stage manager" often refers to the stage manager who is responsible for overseeing the entire stage management department for a company. Companies who work in rep, or have a lot of shows in a season will usually hire more than one stage manager and several ASMs and divide the shows between them (seperate stage management "teams".....if you will).  All stage managers (calling and assistants) will usually report to the production stage manager even though PSM may not be directly involved in thier particular production.

sillymacboy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: They That Have Borne the Battle (One-Act Festival)- Workshop Theater Co.
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2008, 01:46 pm »
Kilodolcevita,
Did the PSM you shadowed call the show? I'm curious. :-)