Author Topic: Invaluable Advice  (Read 6582 times)

K_Darby

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: North Central College
  • Experience: Professional
Invaluable Advice
« on: Jul 10, 2013, 12:20 pm »
As a college stage manager looking into entering the professional side, I am always looking for advice on how to improve how I stage manager.

So I am curious, what is the most invaluable piece of advice you have ever received in regards to stage management or working in a professional setting?

Thanks!

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Apprentice; Closer Than Ever; Dry Cold Producions
Re: Invaluable Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2013, 01:07 pm »
With my minimal experience, the one thing I found is Keep your training in mind, but never be set on doing things a certain way, especially since coming out of school you will be interning and apprenticing quite a bit, learn from the Equity Stage Managers, they wil teach you a lot, even if they feel they haven't, they will have. Keep your eyes open and make a mental not on how something is handled.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013, 03:53 pm »
The best piece of advice I ever got was to keep my mouth shut and my eyes open. This was as I was training in University, but it works well on the job as well.

It goes hand in hand with learning from professionals who are also out there. It is too tempting to just blurt out that 'you do it this way, or that way' when you could be receiving really great advice, or safety information. You will pick a lot of things up through observation of other people, especially if you are the ASM. I err on the side of being too quite as an assistant and get my work done. I think it is easy to judge the personality of who you are working with and not really make any big missteps if you focus on doing your best work at first rather than socializing.

This doesn't mean that you don't speak up if there is an issue of safety, or you need to be involved, but in most cases this will teach you so much.

The one thing that I learned the hard way, and wished that someone had prepared me for, was that after college, you are starting out at the bottom again. It's great that you were the PSM on your schools main stage musicals for the past two years and you know how to call a show- but you are brand new to the professional world and those jobs (even if you are 100% capable of performing their duties) are not the ones you are going to get right away. You will be a PA and ASM and you have to know it isn't because you aren't good enough- and really a Great ASM can make a big difference on a show- your job and skills are just as important now.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2013, 03:59 pm »
Two things that have stuck with me over the years.  Both were invaluable to me in my first few years out and I still think of them often.

1) From a guest speaker while I was in college, "Learn the difference between situations where it is okay to say 'I don't know' and when you need to fake it and find out FAST."

2) From a mentor right before my first real post-college interview, "Listen for what they're REALLY asking you."

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2013, 05:11 pm »
Two pieces of advice I've always found useful

Piece 1: Always remember that it's only a show.
With very, very few exceptions, theatre is not a matter of life or death.

F'rinstance, if the show goes up twenty minutes late? Yes, it's inconvenient. Yes, it looks bad. Yes, you ought to examine the reasons and endeavour to fix them. But you know what? We work in live entertainment. The show starts when it starts, and there always comes a point at which we can do nothing more to expedite the process. Don't lose your cool or tear your hair out; make a note, look into it, get it fixed. But right here, right now? It's only a show.

Piece 2: There is no career path.
Okay, okay, there's a progression. You start off as a PA/ASM/apprentice/junior, and you grind and grind and you gradually work your way into more prestigious, better-paying gigs, right? (Hopefully?)

But there's no path.

Former classmate of mine teaches a summer course at a university. Mostly mature/non-traditional students, no theatrical background or experience required, and they essentially do what we'd consider high school-level theatre. (Or community theatre on steroids.) She loves getting to do this. It's the highlight of her year. She has turned down much better-paying, more prestigious work in order to keep herself free to run this class. (And I'm not kidding around here: she was offered a full SM seat at a major summerstock festival which was willing to pay her what most of us would consider a fairly healthy annual salary for a 6-month contract. She turned it down.)

No, she's not earning as much money as she could. No, there's no real prestige in what she does. No, it's not apparent how this advances her career or prepares her for her next job. (She doesn't want to teach theatre, she's not into community theatre, etc.) But she loves it so much that she's willing to make significant sacrifices to keep herself there.

This classmate, who "chooses" to be stuck in an unconventional and non-traditional SM role, is happier and more fulfilled than several colleagues who earn far more money and exist much closer to the centre of the artistic community. I really do envy her. And it's not at all a role she would have chosen coming out of university. (She was, at the time, all about dance.) But I really do envy her.

Her career path isn't one they'll teach you about in Career Management in the Arts or whatever course they'll make you take. But it may be one of the best decisions anyone in my cohort made.

SMrobyn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM - 7 Stories
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:51 am »
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever received is  :  Think. Do. Breathe.

Always think things through, especially when it comes to matters of safety.

Don't just sit there when you know you have something to do. Get up and do it, because more things are bound to need your attention during the time-slot you had to do other things.

Don't forget to breathe. People who buy tickets to shows are human, and know that you are human. Sometimes a lighting cue might not always be timed perfectly, and sometimes the actors going to drop the prop, and sometimes a line or two. There is nothing more real than theatre, as made-up as it is :)

Also, have fun. If we don't love doing this... why are we here?
A dream is a wish your heart makes... And I dream of lighting cues, prop sheets, quick changes and prompt books :)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2013, 01:29 pm »
Learn to be responsible, but not always in control.

Stage Management is middle management.

Theater is like a drug, you will constantly be looking for the next "high", but be careful, that lifestyle leads to trouble.

At the end of the day, it may not be your job, but it maybe your responsibility.

My favorite, Show Business / Shoe Business . . . just a difference a letter . . . don't forget it's a job.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2013, 05:24 pm »
You can't solve every problem brought to you, but you CAN listen to every problem brought to you.

Many times when someone does bring a problem to you, all they want is someone to listen to them, to hear them out. In a lot of cases when you ask "What would you like me to do about this?" they will respond with "Don't do anything yet. Let's just see what happens and touch base again later," and you will then never hear another word about it again!

Protect the performance. All other priorities pale to making the performance the best it can be. It's what makes the producer the money, and without the performance, no one has a job.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2013, 05:47 pm »
Walk quickly to show respect to others and maintain your dignity. Run and do neither.

Humans in groups tend to seek scapegoats before they seek solutions.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:13 pm »
You can spend 15 minutes coming up with blame, or 15 minutes coming up with a solution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mackie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: National Thespian Society
  • Current Gig: High School Techie
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2013, 10:31 pm »
Just do what you love. I may just be a high school SM, but that is one of the many things my director (a former professional stage manager) has taught me. She is an amazingly talented stage manager (with absolutely flawless paperwork might I add) and she knows so many people I am sure that she could be somewhere else making a heck of a lot more money than she is now instead of working a day job that I'm pretty sure she does not like in the slightest just to be with us at rehearsals and shows at the end of the day. She makes so many sacrifices to do what she loves: changing the lives of kids (including me) teaching them all she knows. She had her fill stage managing, and now she has chosen to pass her immense wisdom onto the next generation. Just do what is right for you and do not let anyone tell you that you are stupid for picking a less prestigious, lower paying gig. This sounds kind of cliché, but follow your heart.

K_Darby

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: North Central College
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:04 am »
Reviving a slightly old thread to ask a favor. I am working on updating the stage management handbook for my college and I was wondering if I could use the advice given on this page in that handbook? This advice page would be on its own separate page and each poster would be credited for their contributions.

Also if anyone else has any other advice for a new stage manger I would appreciate the help!
(And if there are any quick/easy-to-make foods you prefer to make during the run of a production, that would also be helpful.)

Thanks!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:28 pm »
Reviving a slightly old thread to ask a favor. I am working on updating the stage management handbook for my college and I was wondering if I could use the advice given on this page in that handbook? This advice page would be on its own separate page and each poster would be credited for their contributions.

You might want to send the people you would like to quote a PM- they may not see this thread.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2014, 04:36 pm »
Fine to use my post above. Agree with Maribeth, best to PM folks for permission.

kdshort1

• New to Town
  • Hi! :)
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alumni of SVSU, Member of Pit & Balcony
  • Current Gig: In between: Next is The Cockfight Play at Pit & Balcony
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:04 pm »
I have a recipe for THE EASIEST and MOST DELICIOUS food ever:

I give you, "The Crockpot Nachos"

1 brick velveeta cheese, cubed in 1" chunks.
2 jars of salsa.
1 & 1/2 pounds ground beef, browned.
Toritlla chips (those Tostidos scoops are a favorite for my crew)

Put it in a crockpot.  Let it melt.  Stir.  Eat. 

What I love about this is that it's so easy.  It's the best tech week food because you just put it in the crockpot on high for 2 hours and then, you'll be eating delicious cheesy dip.  Plus, it's easy to make your own.  Like it spicy?  Use spicy salsa.  Vegetarian? Skip the beef.  You can throw peppers in it, or beans, or whatever you want. 

It's also one of those things that you might have to feel out.  Depending on the consistency of the salsa, it might turn out a little runnier or maybe a little thicker.  You literally can't mess this recipe up though.  Just make sure you soak the crockpot as soon as it's all gone (it won't take long). 

Feel free to share this recipe! :)

And my advice to new stage managers:  Go to the bathroom before you call places.