Author Topic: Considering additional training...  (Read 2689 times)

thankyou5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Considering additional training...
« on: Apr 16, 2009, 09:48 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the Show Production and Touring degree from Full Sail that is advertised on Backstagejobs?  With the job market being down, I've been considering additional training as most of the job posting I have seen are more for the technical side of theatre than the stage management side.  But I'm a bit wary since I've not heard of anyone attending this program except for the one post to this site a few years ago that no one answered.

Any thoughts?

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Considering additional training...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2009, 10:04 pm »
From what I know of this program it's designed for more of a rock & roll type environment.  The show production program is also an associates degree, which makes it about the most expensive associates degree out there.  I have employed a number of full sail grads in the past, and I have had mixed results (that is being polite).  Some worked out well, many did not.  I have visited their facilities in Orlando a few times and they do have very good facilities from a technical point of view, mostly on the sound side of things - they have very state of the art equipment.  What exactly is it you are looking to gain training in?  Are you looking at a complete career change to the technical side of things or simply to make yourself more well-rounded and versatile?  As mentioned full sail is very costly, and if you're looking to become more well-rounded you may be better served looking for some internships or classes at a local community college.  If you're looking at a complete career change I suppose that is another discussion entirely.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2009, 10:09 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Considering additional training...
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2009, 10:23 pm »
Hi, all..

I didn't go to Full Sail myself, so I'm just throwing in my two cents from an outsider's standpoint.

My cousin, was considering going there, and I talked to someone I went to school with who I knew went to Full Sail for grad school.  We both attended a small, liberal arts undergrad with a 25-person-or-so department. Basically he said it was a "good" program, but he essentially paid to get a giant contact list.  He said that it wasn't necessarily about what he learned, but who he met.

My cousin ended up *not* going, and this guy, after graduating, returned to my undergrad as an ATD.  Now, obviously, there's lots of reasons why things ended up the way they did, but it didn't seem to me like Full Sail was the kind of catapult it advertised being...
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.