Author Topic: Community Theater  (Read 4468 times)

Kangaroojus

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Community Theater
« on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:01 pm »
Hey SMNet
I am currently a high school junior in New Jersey looking to get more experience with stage management -- so far i've looked at a few community theaters but i'm not sure how to start.

who should i contact? house manager? production manager?
what's the best way to go about doing it?

i know better than to expect to get paid, and i have experience as light technician, set builder, running crew member, assistant stage manager (high school productions) and assistant prop mistress (not in construction). i'd appreciate all your advice

thanks, everyone

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Community Theater
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2009, 03:57 pm »
Generally speaking, Production Managers are charged with staffing the shows.  So if you can contact the PM, that is a good way to go about things.  However with many community theatres, the PM job gets rotated around so as not to burn out volunteers.  You may want to CC your inquiry to the general info address as well to better your chances of contacting the right person.

Best of luck!

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2009, 06:08 pm »
A lot of the community theaters in my area staff shows through the Producer. I'd suggest starting with the generic contact for the theater. You may need to work your way up. Some places have more than enough people to staff a show, others will be delighted you are offering. Good luck!

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:39 pm »
They may also have a website with a "volunteer" section-may not get to the right person, but it may get you in the right direction.  Last one I worked at had a generic email address, and a day after I sent a note I had a call from one of the board members-and found myself ASM'ing a show that opened a week later (oh, and the "SM" was a dancer...that was an interesting run).  Above all be flexible, and have fun.

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:34 pm »
Where in New Jersey?  I'm currently here and might be able to point you to a couple of places based on where you are.
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

Kangaroojus

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:31 pm »
thanks everyone for answering me questions :)
is is possible for me to get experience stage managing a community production, do you think?

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:38 pm »
thanks everyone for answering me questions :)
is is possible for me to get experience stage managing a community production, do you think?
Short answer, Yes.

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2009, 05:02 pm »
My primary stage management experience comes DIRECTLY from community theater. I live in Grand Rapids, MI and we have one of the best technical theater communities in the country as well as one of the top 5 community theatres.  They have resident PMs and Volunteer Coordinators, so to be considered to work, we'd have to contact those people.

Keep in mind, theatres may  not hire you until they know you.  So do not be surprised if they require you to work crew or ASM first.  Build that trust with the theatre and show them you are a hard worker and then...climb that ladder! :)
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

riotous