Author Topic: Communication problems  (Read 4505 times)

laurenS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Communication problems
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:26 pm »
Hey there,
So this is a problem I should probably know how to solve but I am at a loss. I am the stage manager for my college's student run theatre program. The director and president of the program is a fellow student. She has a tendency to leave things til the last minute despite my efforts to keep things on schedule. A very frustrating example of this is over breaks. We do one mainstage show per semester, but she refuses to think about the next semester before break. She insists that she needs time to think first then we can talk before the next semester starts. But when I try to get in contact with her over break, she ignores every attempt. I usually don't end up getting to talk to her until two weeks into the semester, and THEN she starts to think about what show we will do. This leaves absolutely no time plan things in an organized manner and we miss out on the best days for shows and auditions. I have expressed how important it is for us to work everything out before the semester starts so that we can go right into the production process. She agrees every time, but then does nothing about it. What am I doing wrong and how can I get her to understand the importance of communication and early planning?

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Communication problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:55 pm »
Have you tried setting meeting times way in advance? At the end of this school year, can you sit down and plan out dates for the next season? That way if she's feeling lax about communication or about show choices, you can still do your job and secure spaces. When you're doing this, you should also try to set planning meeting dates. If she balks; remind her of what you agreed on, preferably in writing.

Do you have faculty that can help you enforce deadlines?

laurenS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:01 pm »
At the end of last semester, I very strongly suggested that we set up a time to meet. She gave me a frazzled like and said "I can't think about that right now, I need a break" then changed the subject. I pushed a bit harder after that and she said she'd get in contact with me in a week. I asked her what day and time, and she said she needed to check her calendar. A very obvious blow-off, but I can only push so hard. Talking to our faculty advisor is a very good idea. I just emailed him, hopefully he will be helpful. I just hate having to resort to that. We are mature individuals and should be able to handle this ourselves. I guess it was unavoidable.

Thanks!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:11 pm »
I was the Treasurer for the student run organization at my college, and we had an entire system for play proposals and play selection that happened the previous year. So in the Spring of 2011 (for example) we would select the season for Fall and Spring 11-12. We used an entire process where people could propose plays, musicals, directors, and designers all to be selected by the executive board.

Perhaps this is a system you could implement starting this semester to avoid these situations in the future. At least you'll know what shows you're going to do and the basic needs of the production before you even leave for summer break.

laurenS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:01 am »
That would be very helpful. Unfortunately the one who is the problem is the president of the organization. She does not want to relinquish her control . I will suggest it to her and see what she says though. That would make things run much more smoothly.

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:30 pm »
Coming up with a system of purse string deadlines or play selection deadlines, enforced by the school, is a great way not only to get the director to work in a timely manner but also to perpetuate the student-run producing group beyond your individual graduation dates. 

However, there is no communication skill that will change other people. There simply isn't a silver bullet or magic spell to impose your will.  You can't *make* someone else share your priorities.  Instead of trying to get your director/president to change her personality, assume her end-of-semester burn-out as a given circumstance and investigate what positive steps you can take to make the shows as good as they can be under these circumstances.

As a stage manager, I often try to lead people to make their own discoveries.  Even if I already *know* what the solution is, I never propose the solution (unless said solution is completely within my power to enact, without depending on others); I try to help my colleagues see the problem and ask them for the solution.  In your shoes, after the current show is over, I'd say something like "If only we could have gotten John Doe for the lead; but he took that conflicting class before we held our auditions and couldn't read for us" or "I wish the actors had more time to learn their lines; they never really did get off book" and then genuinely ask "How can we keep that from happening on the next show?"  This is the trick: even if you *know* what to do, you have to *ask* completely genuinely, with an open mind, because it is always possible that the person you're talking to, who has the power to enact a solution, may come up with a solution you never thought of but still makes the show better.  And it's better to leave that meeting without an answer than to jump in with your own answer; your colleague may need to sleep on it.  All you need to do is communicate what the problem is as clearly as you can.

On the upcoming show, instead of dragging your director to a meeting she doesn't want to attend, try approaching her with problems and asking her help solving them.  "How can we get enough time to rehearse?"  "I would love to start rehearsals with all the props we need, how do you think we could do that?" People love to be heroes who solve problems, and giving them opportunities to do so is what I've based my career on.  And if it's in your power to execute or support any solutions she comes up with, tell her specifically how and when you can help with them.  Commit to their solutions as strongly as you commit to the show as a whole.

Now, I should also say that I try to keep *my* problems away from the directors and actors as much as possible, as the major problem *they* have to concentrate on is rehearsing the show.  But as a stage manager, it is worthless to engage in a power struggle.  Leave aside your preconceptions of the way things "should" be done and search for the best available path to opening night given the people you're working with.

Sorry for the long answer, hope some of this was of aid.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

laurenS

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:32 pm »
That was incredibly helpful. Thats a really smart way to go about things. Thank you so much for the advice!