Author Topic: College Interviews  (Read 4414 times)

BWEEVEED

• New to Town
    • View Profile
College Interviews
« on: Jun 03, 2007, 09:35 am »
It seems as if all of my posts are about college.

Anyway, at my high school we don't run shows like actual, true shows. The stage manager doesn't call the cues and he or she works backstage. Our most recent show we had two WONDERFUL tech directors who showed me what it's like to run a show in the 'real world'.

By the time I go for college interviews, I will only have run one/two shows that will supply me with books but almost no rehearsal experience. Is there anything I can do to make myself more credible?
If the world is a stage then we rule the world.

boolabella

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: College Interviews
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2007, 01:20 pm »
when i interviewed for college i had almost no real theatre experience...a couple shows in high school, which like you, seems was nothing like real stage managing.  i'm pretty sure the college interviewers know what to expect when it comes to prospective's experience.  looking back the work i sent in was nothing close to anything you would actually ever see, but it was what i was taught in high school...in the end it was good enough to get me into a BFA sm program, and now i know the real way of doing things.  i wouldn't worry about it, if you're willing to learn it will come across in your interview, that's really all they need to know.
Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.”

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2007, 01:45 pm »
I second this- I think that demonstrating potential, a willingness to learn, and an openness to the experience are things that college interviewers would be looking for. Personally, I would also come in with some ideas about what you would like to learn- I think being able to show your interest in their program and what you can learn there would be something great that you can talk about during an interview. Being able to say, "'I'd like to learn more about musicals," or "I would like to understand more about _______". Definitely a good conversation starter, and this also gives them an opportunity to tell you about their program.

Being able to show your potential is great- you'd be surprised at how other things you do relate to stage management. If you have experience in something else that relates (organization, supervising people at a summer job, sign language, dance or music training, etc), be prepared to talk about it. Use the experience that you have- it might be something that makes you valuable to them in some way.

ashadeofbrown

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2007, 01:51 pm »
I got lucky in high school; my director was connected with other people who needed people in their crew. Definitely do some work (if you want to go that extra, non-paid mile) with community theatres, professional, or non-profit theatre to get some more experience. Perhaps if you looked around in your area there are a few theatres that would love help; techies are always in demand.
Curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought it back.

anna.ashley

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cirque du Soleil
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:59 am »
Just be yourself! High School is a time for discovery and college is the place to really grow and refine your craft. That's why we go to college!

Perhaps this is a broken record from the posts above, but really talk about WHY you love what you do and the various things you have learned from the range of experiences. Stage Managers have to be aware of the world around them, and showing folks interviewing you will be impressed to see that you have a good understanding of the production, what you learned, etc.

Have fun at your interviews! They want to see if you're a good fit for that particular program-- not if you have the perfect prompt book.

Cheers!

liketobeia

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2007, 12:04 am »
It seems as if all of my posts are about college.

Anyway, at my high school we don't run shows like actual, true shows. The stage manager doesn't call the cues and he or she works backstage. Our most recent show we had two WONDERFUL tech directors who showed me what it's like to run a show in the 'real world'.

By the time I go for college interviews, I will only have run one/two shows that will supply me with books but almost no rehearsal experience. Is there anything I can do to make myself more credible?

Hey,
Thats very interesting to be with, interview is fun