Author Topic: College applications: Stagemanaging for High Schooler  (Read 3594 times)

mizzyfreak7

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Hello all. I am new to this site, but I have some questions for the (obviously) knowledable SMs on this site. I am an incoming high school junior, who's now starting to look at college (oh god!). I have been involved in theater tech for three years, and SMing/ ASMing for two. This summer I was a paid intern at a regional theater for a production of A Winter's Tale, and I really enjoyed it. I'm definitely considering pursuing this as a career. So far, the colleges I'm looking at are Hofstra U (in Long Island) and Sarah Lawrence. I would definitely consider a BFA, and although it may seem a little premature, I am beyond devoted to theater, and this is kind of my dream job. What would everyone reccomend that I do to prepare for a degree in SM. I attend a boarding school in NH, so it's a little difficult for me to work with regional theaters during the year.
Any suggestions? I would REALLY appreciate it...
Thanks so much,
selch
peace. ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 12:50 pm by PSMKay »

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stagemanaging for High Schooler
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2006, 02:26 am »
My first suggestion would be to take a look at a handful of the recent threads in this forum - there are a bunch of really interesting discussions that are still rolling along at full speed.

While I'm not familiar with Hofstra, my sister (a director/writer type) just started at Sarah Lawrence, and from what I can tell, it's a great program. They do not offer a BFA degree, tho.... they don't actually offer anything but the BA in Liberal Arts at the undergraduate level, if my info is right. Their conference system fascinates me though, since it's so student- and research-oriented (I'm assuming you've looked at how they structure their courses... please let me know if this is Greek to you...). From this vantage point, it looks like a perfect program if you want lots of flexibility and lots of writing. We'll see what kid sister says after she's gotten her footing for the year... I'll keep ya posted ;).

As far as preparing for a degree in SM, my vote would be to do everything you can, especially in high school. Learn to do every job in theater - from costume maintenance to acting to electrics to house management - it can only help you better understand what a SM does and can do. Even if you walk away from each job thinking "I should be SMing," you will also have a sense of what the person wearing those non-SM shoes needs from the SM, and that will make you a better SM on the next show.

Best of luck in your search, and keep the SMN posted!

megf

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stagemanaging for High Schooler
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2006, 02:14 pm »
I totally second megf.  Stage managing as a career will take up your entire life.  Use the time that you are in school to do as many different things as you can.  All that experience will be absolutely invaluable later on, because an SM has to empathize with the people she's working with, and evaluate how well the project is progressing. 

I've also seen SMs who dive in feet-first burning out after a few hard shows.  I suggest that you take the time to do lots of things now - especially outside of theatre - so that you don't regret missing out on them later.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

riotous