Author Topic: Co-Stage Manager Rant/advice  (Read 4730 times)

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Co-Stage Manager Rant/advice
« on: Apr 05, 2008, 11:42 am »
I am in my senior year of college (undergrad) and was put on Into the Woods as a CO stage manager.  Now we were not sure how the "CO" thing was going to work because my professor told both me and my CO SM that she would figure it out when the time came.  So like a week before tech she decided that my CO-SM would call the show during Tech and the dress rehearsals, then the first week she would also call.  I was told to watch her from the booth then take over calling the second week.  Well when it became my turn I took over (not ever calling the show before) and in a show of about 300 light cues alone I messed up somewhere around 12 (called early from nearvousness mostly).  After being lectured by my director and the department chair for a short period of time I went back and worked for and entire day on calling the cues to the soundtrack.  The second performance went well (few minor mess ups)  I was told it went well.  Then came the 3rd performance (neither the director or the lighting designer were there).  I thought it went ok accept one major part I jumbled calling and messed up a blackout.  The department chair again lectured me. 

I just wanted to know anyones opinion on this, my confidence has been shot although my friends keep telling me it is my professors fault for not giving me rehearsal time to practice calling it.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Co-Stage Manager Rant/advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2008, 01:05 pm »
Taking over calling a show that you didn't give birth to and didn't personally tech is a very definite challenge. For everyone. Do give yourself a break. Do practice again and again with that tape.

It has always helped me to understand what each cue is doing rather than simply execute it upon command. You are at a disadvantage here, but life goes on. As will the show.

It is also part of your department chair's job to get you to strive for personal excellence. Many people have many different ways of achieving this. Give them the benefit of the doubt and realize that's what they are doing.

Oh yeah, did I mention practice...?

Give 'em hell... GO !
Ordo ab chao

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2008, 05:09 pm »
What VSM said. Trust me, I made a living for a while stepping in for other folks on no notice - and you need to make the show yours.

And now, ask your dept head for rehearsal time in the booth. Go in when no one is in the theater and, without turning on the board, run the show - If you are calling rail cues or hitting toggle switches, put them in your hands - physically run the cues. I mean, hit the buttons, everything. And then take time to turn on the board, take the house to black and see what each light cue does, so you know what ought to happen. Watch with an eye to what's happening at the moment the cue is meant to hit, then adjust your book to reflect where it makes sense to YOU to call it so it hits on time.

Everyone else got one - you deserve a rehearsal too - take it and make the show yours.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2008, 10:43 pm »
In addition to the excellent advice above, seriously do try to give yourself a break.  It sounds like you're doing everything you can in this situation, and it's not easy to step in and call a show that you're less familiar with, especially a musical with so many cues in it.  Definitely keep practicing, and try not to get discouraged.  We in this community know how difficult calling a show can be, even if you are familiar with it, but not everyone understands.

And, definitely give your professor some feedback on how the experience overall has been for you.

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:46 am »
Thank you, but tonight was closing night anyway, and they had my co call it.  This was the first time my school has tried this and I was informed they will not be doing it again.    Thank you all again for your advice.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:15 pm »
Learning to take over a show, either a deck track or calling a show is a hugely important skill for stage managers to have.  There are  a large percentage of stage managers who have never done this - and I have to say, it's not something that can easily be faked - there is very specialized skill set.

At one school I went to, the production manager would "tap" out a stage manager, and the ASM would have to jump in and call the show.  Which was a great dose of reality.  It didn't happen every show, but every show had to be ready.  Like the art of understudying for actors, the act of understudying or taking over for another stage manager is not often taught in school.  And trust me there are LOTS of stage managers who make a nice living taking over for other stage managers.  (I too did it for awhile - this is something very odd about running a show you have never rehearsed.)

I am sorry that it was a positive experience for you - it may have been the wrong show for your school to try it on.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.