Author Topic: Stage Managing Burlesque....help?  (Read 2937 times)

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Stage Managing Burlesque....help?
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:48 pm »
I am the stage Manager for a burlesque troupe on my campus. I have a lot of issues trying to organize it because the producer established the student associated club and I am there to help so not all duties of a stage manager are my duties. For example, she likes to make the schedules and email out everyone, she consults people without me,e ct. She also likes that rehearsals and tech requirements from the performers is not demanding. For instance, there is a form of needed props, scenic props, light preferences and such. The deadlines are not enforced; however, I am supposed to run the show once without tech rehearsals. It is like having the first dress rehearsal and run through for the actual performance. I am not sure how to manage it without making it too strict and taking it away from the culture of burlesque. At the end of the day it goes okay but I know I can do better, but I don't know how without turning it into something it is not. Any advice?

Best Wishes :)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Stage Managing Burlesque....help?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:30 pm »
In situations like this where it's a non-traditional sort of environment, I've often found that it's best to follow the original objective of the job (facilitate the creation of the performance via communication and general organization) rather than to stand on ceremony and insist that the standard rules and job description of the stage manager be observed.  It won't be predictable and at times you'll feel terribly out of sorts but any contributions you can make will still be useful.  Using your SM skills to see the potential pitfalls coming up next week, the week after, or helping to smooth conflicts between egos will go a long way.

As for the lack of tech rehearsals, though, it sounds like this producer is somewhat oblivious to your dual role as both a facilitator and a performer.  People who are very much big-picture-take-charge folks can frequently miss the small details.  If this producer is so intense as to want minute control over the schedules, then he/she will also likely be very miffed if cues are missed during a performance.  As the communicator/facilitator it falls on you to gently remind the producer that your performance is as critical to the final product as that of the folks onstage.  If a blatant "hey, I need rehearsal too" is too gauche for the setting, then perhaps starting to slipstream in questions about where he/she wants cues to happen during rehearsals will be the better solution.  (In other words, rather than doing a consolidated tech, get your "blocking" at the same time as the cast.)

BKrynicki

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:27 am »
"She also likes that rehearsals and tech requirements from the performers is not demanding."

I second PSMKay's response and would add if the director holds only minimal rehearsals or if you aren't present for them (due to class schedule, not being told, etc.) then the performers SHOULD be responsible for their own props, even scenic elements.  ie If they set up their own props for their rehearsals then they are capable of setting them up at the one dress/run/performance.  Plus it's good for them, performers are SUPPOSED to be responsible for checking their props!
Another option if the director is micro-managing and you are there "to facilitate" is to back off a bit and request a running list of tech cues, presets and the like from her.  And yes...YOU need rehearsal, too.
Other things that will help run the show on the fly...get a timing on each piece, best done by seeing a rehearsal of each number at some point; I often run such shows off a simple running order of which number comes next and who's in it, forget following the script.  I make notes in the margin of what cue/preset comes next.  (It's not pretty and wouldn't stand up to the "if I got hit by a bus" test, but the odds of a bus in the cabaret are slim).
If you do get to see rehearsals of individual numbers make your own notes about presets, etc.  If you don't get to see rehearsals then you have to rely on the info the director is willing to give you.  And fill in more with your SM instincts.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:17 pm »
I do a lot of "on-call" tech/shows for several performance venues and have gotten used to "on the fly" lighting/sound/flyrail etc.
I like to meet with the performers before house opens, let them know that they will be working around a "house lighting plot" (you get warm, cool, dark and/or bright). I get their CD and ask what track #(s) and when played.  The venues also only provide limited sound equipment.  Set choices are: Curtain open or curtain closed. Choices are limited but I rarely find that it limits the performer(s) or performance.  I like the idea of the actors providing their own props/set pieces (I presume they provide their own costumes).  Many times, I'm the only "house technician" for the show so I can only handle so much at one time. This may be an angle for you to approach your burlesque show from.

riotous