Author Topic: Blocking using a score  (Read 7462 times)

ABennett

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Blocking using a score
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:34 pm »
What's the best way to do blocking notes using a musical score?  I have a vocal score, and it's Gilbert and Sullivan so it's definitely a good idea to use a score for the show. I know everyone has a different style but since I've never SM'd a show using a score before so any suggestions are appreciated. thanks

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Blocking using a score
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:39 pm »
I like to use a photocopy of the score. One page at a time on the right-hand side of my notebook as I'm looking at it, and on the back of each page, (so I can see it on the left-hand side) a copy/diagram of the set. Sometimes I leave it blank if I can't get a mini-ground plan, and I create a sketch for myself to notate blocking.

For specific positions, especially opening/closing positions or maybe transitional movements, I'll notate the placement on the mini, with a notation in the score of when that happens.

Also, if a lot of action happens on one page of music, I've written a blow-by-blow list on the left-hand page, with each event numbered. I then insert the number in the specific measure/beat/etc where it occurs in the score.

However, as with all forms of notation, it needs to fit your needs and your personality. What works for me may not work for ANYONE else.
Posted on: January 04, 2010, 09:35:29 PM
Also, if there are only a few characters on stage, and there is little movement (i.e., an aria where the singer only moves once or twice), I would just notate the movement right above, inside, or next to the measure (whatever is most convenient) where the movement should happen.

Hope this all helps!!
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:32 pm »
Scores are published with the assumption that the musician is reading a double-sided score.  The arranger often places vamp bars or rest bars at the bottom of the right-hand, odd-numbered page to allow the musician to turn the page without missing a note.  That isn't the case for the bottom of the left-hand, even-numbered page, which often needs your eye to look immediately up to the next bar at the top of the right-hand page.

So I always double-side my score pages, and for blocking notes, I insert a blank sheet between each.  Blocking is written on the side facing the score.  When in a run situation, I can hold the blocking page vertical and read the score directly from the left-hand page to the right.

To ease the flipping of pages, quickly finding a particular page of the score, I trim a quarter-inch off the right side of the blocking sheets before I insert them.  This means my fingers always turn a score page and never mistakenly grab a blocking page.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Libby

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:28 am »
I tend to not use the vocal score for blocking or calling script. I will come up with a script that has the counts, lyrics, and lines written script style. With the lyrics in uppercase and indented and the lines written as is. For example:

PERSON 1
This here would be one of the spoken lines.

PERSON 2
(indented ->) NOW I AM SINGING
I"M SINGING THIS SONG HERE
THERE ARE MANY LINES
BUT SOON A DANCE BREAK WILL HAPPEN

1      2       3       4       5       6       7       8

2      2       3       4       5       6       7       8

3      2       3       4       5       6       7       8

4      2       3       4       5       6       7       8

9      10     11      12

1      2       3       4       5       6       7       8

In this example, each line of the numbering stands for one count of 8. If there was a huge dance break I would start to put descriptive notes under the number (either something musical like a drum hit, or something visual like a kick.) This script would then become the calling script.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:02 pm »
it depends on show - I prefer scores cuz it's easier for me to see/follow/call on a specific beat in the  measure - and esp w long dance breaks to know exactly where we are even if I have been distracted at some point to handle something. Yes, if I run a show for more than a few weeks I don't need to look at the score, but for short runs it is a great asset.

I have seen other folks use the count system and yes it saves tons of paper space, but is less clear for me - but I have done it and it can work well

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:33 pm »
I always call musicals from score I find it far easier to be accurate in calling than with the count system - but then I've read music for as long as I can remember.  However for blocking, I do just use a script with lyrics as otherwise you're turning pages much too often.   This does mean having separate blocking and calling scripts but it works for me!

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:15 pm »
On my current project we have done the blocking and call script with the script and not the score.  In detailed instrumental selections we have used counts or the lyrics to the melody in italics to show that they aren't actually being sung. 

In another production I have made a cut and pasted script of score and lines to help get me through, but that has been for calling and not for blocking. 

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 11:13 pm »
I always call musicals from score I find it far easier to be accurate in calling than with the count system - but then I've read music for as long as I can remember.  However for blocking, I do just use a script with lyrics as otherwise you're turning pages much too often.   This does mean having separate blocking and calling scripts but it works for me!
I just started rehearsals for Sweeney Todd and this is exactly how I'm doing it.  I started school in a B.Mus program and have played in semi-pro and pro symphony orchestras, so reading a complex score isn't an issue for me.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:59 am »
I think it comes down to how you look at music. Those of us who are musicians, who read music fluently, will prob feel more comfortable with the score, while those who don't will feel better about counts. As long as the cue is called at the correct time, you gotta do what feels most comfortable, most right for you and your brain -

amdram

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Ahoy Savoy! - Bournemouth G&S
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:55 am »
I am SM for an amateur Gilbert and Sullivan society and I can't read music, so I suppose I'm living proof that it is possible to call musical shows from a libretto or script.

On the very rare occasions I have had to cue from a beat in the music, rather than a word or action, I've just listened to the piece over and over until it's ingrained. I've also been known to write 'tiddley bom, bom bom' in the book to help remember the exact spot!

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:25 am »
I also don't "read" music (just can follow notes on the page and know where I am) and like amdram, I listen to the music a lot.  I also write the name of the song in the order it's played (if it's a dance or overture...i.e. "Some Enchanted Evening"..."Wash That Man" (starts)--cue house to half... and so on).  I'll sometimes cut and paste measures from the score into my script if there are notes that cues are called on (intro or musical bridge).

ambrosialx

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Ambrosia LX and Design Portfolio
  • Affiliations: University of Guelph
  • Current Gig: Production Manager- Roseneath Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:11 am »
I realize this is an old thread but what if there is no libretto just a score, how has anyone found easy to arrange your score to also write in blocking?
"I will prepare and someday my chance will come"

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:25 am »
As with most others, I use a single-sided score, then for each blocking note make a note of the system/bar/beat, and then write the blocking.

For example:

1/2/1 'K' => SL, KNEEL DS of 'C'

Personally, I don't use miniplans, except for large groups of chorus/corps.

Hope that makes sense - if not, I can try and find a picture for you?

C

riotous