Author Topic: Blocking Script vs Calling Script  (Read 19626 times)

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Blocking Script vs Calling Script
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2011, 01:37 am »
I use one script punched so that the script is on the left of the binder I write my cues on those pages and the right page has a numbered list for blocking and place for notes.

Blocking notes are numbers on the script and written on the corresponding line on the right page.

Cues are on those avery garage sale dots (which can be moved easily during tech without rewriting) I hardly look at the blocking pages once the show opens.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2011, 01:40 am »
I've been using stickies/post-its for over a decade, and I've never "lost" a Q, nor really worried that I might.  Remember, when you're moving your script around, it's probably closed, not pages flapping in the breeze.   :)
And I find any tiny chance of possibly losing one Q some time a perfectly worthwhile risk considering how much quicker it is to peel up a sticky and move it, during tech, then it is to erase and neatly re-write a whole sequence of qs.
If I was doing an extremely long run show, I might permanentize the cues after a few weeks.

The issue for me would be . . . How would I know I lost a cue?

Seriously, you can jot down cues very quickly.  I tech very fast, and then go back over and clean up my script when I don't have 60 people waiting on me.

I think if you want to tech with post-its, great . . . but I think you owe to everyone to make it a little more permanent.  (How many other pieces of paperwork would you do that is accept with a post it on it?  Again, point out how odd it is we get all anal about cleaning up other paperwork, but the calling script, the single most important document you create, is often the messiest, the one you don't create a back up, and the one that is often the hardest to read - doesn't always make a lot of sense).

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 01:49 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Catherine Johnson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: ASM-ing Jake's Women, NWFSC
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2011, 02:00 pm »
I've been working on my calling script while reading this post and watching the concerns and possible problems present themselves. I personally use post-it flags because I can designate a color for each group (Lights=chartreuse, Projections=Teal, Deck=Pink, Important Raft Moves=Green, Warnings=Primary Blue, Stand-by=Primary Yellow). However after reading about the concerns of cues running away I started to look for fixes. So far the best I've come up with is that I use the post-it labels , which are sticky all over and thus less likely to fall out, to list my warnings and stand-bys on. This way I'll be at least aware that something in a sequence is missing.

Something else I did this time was to use reposition-able glue dots on the post-its that were normal. They were a bit of a pain at the start but after a few dots I got used to the process and it became less time consuming. I'm still trying to figure out a way to be sure my flags are more stable, but so far this has been my solution.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2011, 02:18 pm »
If you're really into color-coding, look at the Pilot Frixion hi-liters: I swear by them. They are COMPLETELY eraseable, and you don't need that annoying eraser pen like other eraseable hiliter brands. They have them at Office max, Staples, etc, or you can buy them online.  I got a pack of 5 colors when they first came out, and I have only seen 3-packs since then, but I'm sure you can find the 5-packs online. 

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Erasable-Highlighter-Assorted-FXLC3001/dp/B0026RHV5C
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2011, 03:45 am »
I just can't do the post-its system, I do use post-its the first time I write blocking but even then I fear they will fall out, but then I always finalize it at the end of the week or ASAP when everything is fresh on my mind. If it is really a hassle, what i like to do is make two copies of the script i wil use for calling and if a page that is covered in cues has to change I can grab a fresh one and start from there. And they are always separate  because I really don't need to be distracted by blocking when calling a show.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

riotous