Author Topic: Blocking Script vs Calling Script  (Read 19625 times)

Tynumber5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Blocking Script vs Calling Script
« on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:15 pm »
I'm currently working a production where I will be working with a calling script for the first time. Normally I just put my cues into the same script as my blocking because I didn't know that there are sometimes separate scripts between blocking and calling the show. Knowing this, I am going to try it with my production that goes up in a few weeks. I was wondering, other than the cues, is there anything else that goes into the calling script? I wasn't sure if copying over blocking to keep track of everything was something that was done or not. I know every script and prompt book is different, but I'm wondering what other people do. Thanks guys!
"We have three kinds of family. Those we are born to, those who are born to us, and those we let into our hearts."

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Blocking Script vs Calling Script
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:54 pm »
Unless there is blocking that directly affects a cue (wait for a performer to get out of the way, the blocking is essentially the cue, etc.), I don't include any blocking. When I make my book, aside from the script with cues, I usually include pertinent venue information including 'in case of emergency' numbers, run sheet, performance report, lock-up procedures, local information including nearest hospital, announcement in case of technical difficulties + announcement resuming the show...anything that will allow a monkey to take my place.

G-O gr24

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PM Fellow at Berkeley Repertory Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2010, 12:55 am »
I put where people were entering and exiting from and found that to be very helpful.  I also had put in some, little blocking notes but I didn't end up really looking at them.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2010, 10:28 am »
I am usually able to keep my blocking book pretty clean (or fix it so it looks pretty, later), and I never put blocking on the same page as script, always on the back of the opposite page.  So, I go ahead and put my cues in the same script I used for blocking, along with pre-show, intermission, and post-show duty checklists.
The exception to my no-blocking-on-script-pages rule is if the cue is off a visual.  "LQ17.5 (as girls stand up) GO" is an example from my last show.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2010, 03:51 pm »
I do two separate scripts and like others, I put only pertinent blocking to the calls. I do include pre show checklists, run lists, and emergency contacts in my book. I also keep backup backstage run paperwork in the back. I also am really into blocking pages in my prompt book, but write directly on my cue script to keep it as thin and easy to carry around during my pre and post show tracks as possible. It makes it easier for me to give really clear and specific notes when I need to.

Kate McC.

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management intern on Rent at Syracuse Stage
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:59 am »
This was the first year i experimented with using two separate scripts, i was used to using just one for both and highlighting cues to stand apart from blocking notes, but i discovered that it wasn't the most efficient method and my script was a bit of a mess. readable and organized, but too much information in one space.
I kept a copy for blocking specifically, making notes on the script itself  but the more detailed of the blocking went on a piece of notebook paper I kept for each scene/movement piece with specific movements separated by line #'s and it's noted placement within each page of the script.

I then printed out a clean script as well moved to paper tech and keep only sound and light cues there with notes if the cue is called on blocking. I keep both scripts in my 'show bible' at all times so i have quick access to either if i need it, along with all of my other paperwork, examples of which have already been listed above.

i've found separating the information really helps keep me on track with each area and makes my script that much easier for someone to pick up and take over if need be. it also just looks prettier in my opinion.
Katherine McC.
Syracuse University; Dept. of Drama
B.F.A. Stage Management
NY Alpha Chapter of Pi Beta Phi

masque

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:29 pm »
I recently SM'd for the first time. Luckily I had as an ASM a good friend of mine who had experience SMing. Due to the tech-heavy nature of the show and the multiple safety concerns backstage, it turned out that I needed her to call the show while I ran things backstage. I had my script with all the blocking notes and at paper tech she created her own calling script. I made sure that she had all the information she needed from the various departments (including my own blocking script). Had circumstances been different, I still would have created a separate calling script.

bradthommo1

• New to Town
  • I don't read the script, the script reads me
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AC Arts
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager Macbeth by Foul Play
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:07 pm »
What I have learnt to do, is to split the page in half, one side has blocking notes and a small diagram, the other has the Calling information.

This way I can easily access my blocking information during tech or if I need information on when a cue happens in relation to the blocking, then i can just glance at my notes
Cheers
Bradthommo1

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:31 am »
I have never split my blocking script and my calling script - I always write blocking in the left-hand margin and write cues in the right-hand margin.  I also draw boxes around the actual cues "LQ 27" and my stand-bys so I know that is only what I am saying on headset, and then may put additional notes next to the box just to help me out (next to "LQ 27" I might write "BO" outside the cue box so I know that cue is a blackout). 

I avoid highlighting my script in any way, shape or fashion because it is always a mistake and I always have to make changes and it's very annoying.  I think the only time I ever did it was after a show had opened, I did different colors for light, sound, and deck crew cues just to help me sort through it all. 

It is true that I rarely use the blocking notes once the show has opened, but if I can fit them both in one script I'd rather do that than ask the theatre for two one-sided copies of the script just for me (almost everyone gets double-sided copies but I prefer one-sided copies so I have extra room to make more notes if necessary). 

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2011, 11:04 am »
The 'standard' system that has been used at the summer company I'm at right now is to use semi-transparent multi-colored post-it flags for cues.

Let me preface first -- we are an operetta company, so we work out of librettos. During rehearsals we take notes by writing a small number over the measure (or next to the word) where something happens, and write the corresponding action on the blank page opposite (with the number leading it off).

This then leaves the score almost entirely clean for our post-it cues. Since we mostly work out of a score, the post-it flags are great, they span just about the height of a system (one line of music on the page) and because they are semi-translucent, you can still see the music underneath.
For sections of straight dialogue containing cues (no music underscoring), we cut little slivers of the post-it flags and stick them over the cue word (or even as specific as syllable).
And the best part is that the pack comes in five colors -- so for our system we have one for lights, one for spots, one for sound, one for rail, one for cue lights. This way, we can easily look ahead to find the next rail cue -- it will be the next green flag.

But the best part is that we get to have only one copy of the score. Scores are big (and bigger when they are only single-sided), and the idea of having more than one is awful.  Unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, I would prefer to have everything in one place.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2011, 11:25 am »
I've seen other SMs whom the post it system worked great for, but I am too afraid of a post it falling off (which would happen quite easily with all the transport of my script) and not being able to remember it's place.

I do 2 different scripts when I have the time (IE long running shows), and it works very well.  If a blocking note is especially important, I'll just include it in my calling script.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011, 05:07 pm »
I understand your concerns. Our scores here don't move around too much. Just from the office to the console and back (we're rotating rep, so we can't just leave the score at the console). Grand total of about 40 feet. Plus, with all of these new "super sticky" post-its, you can depend on them more.
But, as is the case with most of our job description -- to each his own.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2011, 01:00 pm »
I've been using stickies/post-its for over a decade, and I've never "lost" a Q, nor really worried that I might.  Remember, when you're moving your script around, it's probably closed, not pages flapping in the breeze.   :)
And I find any tiny chance of possibly losing one Q some time a perfectly worthwhile risk considering how much quicker it is to peel up a sticky and move it, during tech, then it is to erase and neatly re-write a whole sequence of qs.
If I was doing an extremely long run show, I might permanentize the cues after a few weeks.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2011, 02:15 pm »
I've been using stickies/post-its for over a decade, and I've never   "lost" a Q, nor really worried that I might.  Remember, when you're   moving your script around, it's probably closed, not pages flapping in   the breeze.

During an interview for a SM Internship (back in 2002), the PSM was looking through my calling script for my most recent college production. She then lifted a post-it flag and dropped it to the floor and said, "Now where does that cue go?" It really hit me that I could lose a cue at any time - and I immediately switched to writing in my cues from then on. Thankfully, I had recently closed that show, so at least she didn't mess up my book too bad, but it did make a point. For those of us that like to crawl all the way to the window of our booth, or may lean far over our books to see over the console at the stage - we do run the risk of brushing against the post-it flags and moving a cue.

Though yes, I will admit, it is a royal pain in the arse to shift an entire cue sequence during tech via pencil - especially if you're working outdoors and your pages have gotten soft with the moisture in the air. But we all do what works best for us. I knew a girl in college who used post-it flags, but then put every page of her script into the plastic sheet protectors. I felt that was a bit too extreme for me, and seemed to be an incredible waste of sheet protectors.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2011, 05:07 pm »
I use flags through tech, but my prompt book is finished when I write the notes in on the page (keeping the post-its for my reference but that way the post-its go on top of the written-in cues) cuz, yes, I have had post-it flags come undone. While sounds like that PSM/interviewer was either deliberately seeing if you had been paying attention during your show or just being stupendously careless, mostly it feels like he/she was probably hoping to see your reaction when things go oops.

riotous