Author Topic: Blocking a theatre in the round  (Read 4593 times)

Xap

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Blocking a theatre in the round
« on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:10 pm »
Hey all!

My university has a theatre in the round and I have been assigned to the show in the round. That being said, blocking hasn't been my best suit, but a theater in the round makes it ten times trickier.

Alumni have always referenced the round as a clock (12 o' clock, 3, 6, 9), which I used in a production last year. However, I struggle with using directions such as US, DS, CD, CL, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Blocking a theatre in the round
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2016, 10:19 pm »
I like using North, South, East, and West. That way, you can write "Sarah X ---> SW" or "Brian X 2st N".

EDIT: I hang directional signs on the walls, and photocopy them into my script, so that they are on the mini-groundplan on my blocking page. It usually takes a few days to adjust but the signage is an easy way to remember, and then everyone is using the same terminology. Helpful to give the designers a heads up in the notes, so that they can use it too.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2016, 10:45 am by Maribeth »

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2016, 11:07 pm »
Our theatre operates two spaces, one of which is configured in the round. We use N, S, E, W...and funny fact, our North in the space is about 1-2º off true North.

Either way, you have to assign the direction in a way that somehow sticks in everyone's head. This might mean taping it on the floor for easy reference, which could help solve your problem of notating blocking.

One thing to figure out is how North IS North? Are they halfway there (woa-oh, livin' on a prayer...)? You might refer to this as NorthCenter, or tape concentric distance rings out from center, or hopefully you'll have some scenic pieces to guide you.

Good luck with it! It takes practice, but you'll get it.

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2016, 07:23 pm »
I use north south east and west, and number the voms